PDA

View Full Version : Check list

keegan
07-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I am buying a Kitfox II and the owner was not the builder. It has been flying for several years. He does not have a check list or maintenace manual for the engine or the airframe. where should I go to get this information? I am an A&P and am used to using manuals and check lists for eveything. Thanks

Peteohms
07-16-2011, 03:06 PM
I posted a personal message.

jtpitkin06
07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Let’s see if we can answer the question for you and others that may be interested.

For maintenance manuals most A&Ps check with the engine manufacturer. Check with tech support for your engine. (You didn’t say what engine you have in your Kitfox.)

For the flying checklist and procedures, Kitfox LLC offers “The Kitfox Pilot’s guide” for about $22. That a good place to start.

As an experimental aircraft, you can really establish any procedures you think are appropriate for the engine, but it’s always best to use the manufacturer’s recommendations.

A checklist for the aircraft operation is something you may develop on your own. You can find examples of checklists all over the internet.

In reality, the airplane is so simple, about all you need is the old and trusty CIGAR TIP and GUMP checklists.

t j
07-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Rotax has a very generous web site. You can down load the installation, Operation, and maintenance manuals for your engine here. http://www.rotax-owner.com/support/engine-manuals

Kitfox Aircraft LLC has a wealth of information on their website. http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/ click on Technican FAQ and you will find an excellent templet for kitfox condition inspection.

As a kitfox owner you will want to become familiar with both these web sites.

ackselle
07-17-2011, 03:51 PM
From J. Mac Mcclennan's article "Checklists are just too long"

CIGAR TIP

C stands for controls, which is the obvious sweep of the flight controls, but also secondary controls such as wing flaps and cowl flaps.
I is for instruments.
G is for gas, and that includes making sure you have it, and that the fuel selector and pumps are properly selected.
A is for altimeter setting.
R is for run-up, which includes setting the power controls properly and checking the engine gauges.
T in tip is for setting and checking the trims.
I in the mnemonic is for interior, which includes belts and harnesses,
but perhaps most importantly, security of the cabin door.
P is for propeller, and it should be cycled and set for takeoff rpm if the airplane has a controllablepitch prop.

GUMP:
Gas...Undercarriage (meaning landing gear)...Mixture...and Propeller

cap01
07-17-2011, 09:08 PM
kick the tires , light the fires , first one in the air is the leader .

Slyfox
07-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I tell the passengers this. Get in, buckle up, shut up. Oh the puke bag is right here. you mess the plane you clean it.

cap01
07-18-2011, 08:40 AM
kinda like the old copilot briefing . gear up , flaps up , and shut up . guess that was cockpit resource management in its earliest form .

Dave S
07-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Will,

I sent you some information on checklists and associated documents you were asking about - check your PM.

Sincerely,

Dave S

jtpitkin06
07-18-2011, 07:16 PM
I treat the preflight as a mini maintenance release. I use the checklist to make sure I don't gloss over anything. Generally I try to keep airborne checklist as simple as possible to encourage their use. The preflight checklist in contrast is very detailed.

Here's an example I made for preflight on my Kitfox SS. It folds into thirds and tucks into a shirt pocket. You can modify it to fit your aircraft equipment.