PDA

View Full Version : FOX designator

Dorsal
07-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Yet another thing I did not know (there are so many), FOX is our legitimate FAA type designator for filing flight plans and such, much cooler than ZZZZ or HXA/B.

Dave S
07-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Here is where you can find it.

FAAO JO 7340.2, Contractions - on the FAA website

link is:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/Basic7340.2A.pdf

Disregard the first part of the document designations for specific air carriers - need to scroll down A LOT....to find the aircraft contractions

Also - be aware that there are 4 "FOX" designations and one "VIX" designation for the vixen. The experimental designations are towards the end of the document.

Our local flight service station gravitated to the "VIX" designation - and probably didn't know about the "FOX" one.

They are a little loose but both work.

I like the "FOX one best....now I can argue responsibly with with FSS......:)

Sincerely,

Dave S

FOX N128DD

Dorsal
07-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Given I have not filed a flight plan in 25 years and I am planning on crossing Canadian airspace I thought I should brush up.
It took some searching and it shows up under both Deny and Skystar and sure enough the filing software I use which will not except bad designators likes FOX.

ken nougaret
07-11-2011, 11:04 PM
i regularly fly the orlando, fl. airspace. so when i purchased my ss, john mcbean informed me that FOX would be my designator.
ken

Slyfox
07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
what's a flight plan?

Dorsal
07-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Sly, that was exactly my reaction when I read the requirements for over flying Canada