PDA

View Full Version : 74.8" Kiev?

N82HB
07-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Is anyone running the long 3-blade on the 912uls 100hp? I am interested in the best takeoff performance I can get and in other airplanes length is key. I am just concerned I may be stepping into a realm that I may not be happy. I currently have a 72" Warp Taper Tip.

catz631
07-07-2011, 04:26 AM
I originally removed a 3 blade nickle leading edge taper tip Warp off my model 4 and replaced it with a little longer blade Kiev on my 80 hp 912. It didn't work out too well so I quickly sold it to a friend who installed it on his 100 hp Paradise P-1. I then purchased the shorter proper length Kiev . The performance has been great (after a few pitch adjustments) No way I will go back to the Warp as it was too heavy and not nearly as smooth or pretty as my Kiev.
3 guys in my area have swapped their Warps for the Kiev and they have all been very happy. I think you will like it. I wish I could give you the length but I am away on vacation and don't have access to any info.
Go on the Kiev web site or call Ted Bryant @ Kiev. He was extremely helpfull .They have a chart on the web site that will help you with selection.
Dick

wadeg
07-07-2011, 10:55 AM
How does the kiev do at the low rpm end? My problem is trying to slow down on final. Took pitch off of my warp to help out. Have idle set low...low enough that as I roll out I have to add a little power to stay at safe idle. Would love a smoother and more efficient prop like a kiev but don't want more trouble playing tug-of-war with the throttle on final.

N82HB
07-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Anyone running the 70.9" Kiev?
K

Monocock
07-08-2011, 02:18 AM
The options for the 912 and the 912s are the 263 and the 283 in the Kiev model range. The '26' and the '28' denote the prop length and the '3' is the number of blades.

The Kiev website gives a good chart where you will see that both props are suitable for both engines. Generally however the 263 and the 912 are best suited, as are the 283 and the 912s. I personally went for the 263 on my 912s as it was all they bad available at the time. It hasn't disappointed and I achieve performance figures that never cease to amaze me.

As for slowing it up on Finals, I have the idle set at 1800 on the ground and have no problems with floating. To be honest, the actual thrust created with various pitch settings at idle on short final will be negligible. s long as the ground idle is set at 1800 (or maybe 100 rpm less) it is all then down to your speed control over the hedge. I wouldn't recommend much lower idle settings if you want to make sure your engine doesn't stop as you start approaching stall speeds in the flare.

I have said it before and I shall kelp saying it, the Kiev prop is the best thing I have added to my Kitfox and it has transformed it into a completely different aircraft.

catz631
07-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Monocock,
I agree with you completely . The Kiev indeed is a fine prop!
As for slowdown on final,the first thing I noticed was the "flat plate" effect the Kiev has at idle power on approach. It makes for a much more controlable descent compared to the Warp.
Please don't get me wrong,the Warp is a fine,tough prop but for me it was a dramatic difference going from the Warp to the Kiev. Even at very low rpm's the gearbox doesn't "object" as it did with the Warp. No more "bucket full of ballbearing" sounds when I occasionaly go below 1800 rpm.
And that bigger blade on the Kiev sure makes it easier on your hands during the endless rounds of prop turning during the "burp" proceedure.
Dick

catz631
07-08-2011, 03:52 AM
Wadeg,
I have a vernier throttle on my model 4. With the Kiev I can pretty much dial in my descent rpm on approach and leave it there.(depending on wind conditions,etc.) With the Warp, it was constent adjustments as you describe. This got agrivating as on occasion during turbulance my palm would hit the throttle button,power would go full ,and I would have to do a go around.
Did I mention that the Kiev is a VERY nice prop ?
Dick

Dorsal
07-08-2011, 05:41 AM
The options for the 912 and the 912s are the 263 and the 283 in the Kiev model range. The '26' and the '28' denote the prop length and the '3' is the number of blades.

Minor point of clarification, the first digit is rotation, the second is ~Diameter in dekameters and the third, as stated, is # of blades. Therefore the 283 is the 70.9" which I am also curious if anyone is running it on a Kitfox with a 912S.

N82HB
07-12-2011, 09:27 PM
I posted a reply in "Kiev Success" to express the lack there of.