PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie

BStewart
11-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi all,
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Super Sport kit this morning. I'm looking forward to building, flying and making new friends along the way.

mcguif0a
11-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Congrats.
If you are planning on picking the kit up from Homedale I have some pictures of a good sized truck to use and the way we packed it.

DesertFox4
11-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Bryon, congrats on the purchase. Your Kitfox family is very large and accomplished and ready to assist if you need them. If you're a first time builder use the wait time for the box of airplane parts arrival to ready your build location and acquire the necessary tools. You probably have the majority of tools already but a few specialty items can really help. If you need help with the "must have" items list I'm sure John McBean or several Super Sport builders will respond to render advise on this short list.
Bryon enjoy the build process, it goes by quickly. Take lots of photos of the build.
There are few joys in life like the first flight in an aircraft that you brought to life. The investment of time and money will be worth that alone. Also look at your purchase invoice and nowhere on it will you find the line that charges you for all the fun and adventure coming your way or most importantly the friends you'll make and keep for life. John and Deb throw that in for free. Good luck and we'll see you soon at a fly in somewhere in the near future. :)

DanB
11-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Congrats.
If you are planning on picking the kit up from Homedale I have some pictures of a good sized truck to use and the way we packed it.

Hi Bryon,
Tyler brings up a good thought concerning delivery of your kit. If you are not planning on picking up the kit yourself, you should really take a look at Tony Partain's Trucking (advertised on the front page of this site). Transport of kits and airplanes is all he does and he does it well. I had him deliver my kit and I was very happy with both the service as well as the competative pricing. I have heard of several horror stories utilizing standard freight companies and IMHO...Partains is the way to go.
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the family.

BStewart
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and advise. I built an RV-7A up to the the QB stage before deciding I wanted something different. I not a first-time builder, but I know nothing of tube and fabic aircraft.

I have already talked With Mr. Partain and he will be delivering my kit. My building shop is ready to go and I think I probably have most of the tools already.

I'm looking forward to the build and the flying. I'll definately look forward to the journey.

Bryon Stewart
KF Super Sport - Ordered

DesertFox4
11-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I believe most people have the usual tools already to build a very complete kit like the Kitfox . There are always tools that will make the build easier. Some times additional sized reams are handy, a drill press is great, a bench sanding belt and wheel, a bench grinder ect. A couple of saw horses. A band saw was used a lot.
A Whitney punch is great for making precise holes in light metal for instrument panels and center counsels and beats drilling all those holes. I bought a used Whitney hand punch off of Ebay. Great tool.
A variable speed Dremel is a must. Cleaco's of various sizes
(actually 4 sizes) and cleaco pliers. Lots of spring clamps (Home Depot). Wooden or plastic clothes pins make great little lite duty clamps.
A cable swage tool is great although one can be borrowed for the few cables that require it. For covering a couple modelers irons. Lots of stir sticks, popsicle sticks if you will and Dixie cups for mixing small batches of adhesive or Poly Fiber Micro Fill. Sand paper assortment. Cotton flox. A good set of precision drill bits with extra # 30's and #40's. I also ordered a couple extra long #30 and #40 drill bits. A right angle drill is wonderful for hard to reach drilling jobs. A good rivet squeezer. Just a quick list of things I remember using.

Jorge&Cindy
11-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Hey Mike, Avico, 5555 Northwest 36th Street • Miami Springs. They have lots and lots of aviation supplies. They are a local distributor for aviation supplies. Tools, hardware, adhesives, lubricants, you name it. Plus nice people and local. If you go, tell them the K9 cop from the airport sent you.

http://www.avicointernational.com/

Rich W
11-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Mike, Try Enco for drill bits, reamers etc. They do not have aviation related items but quite a bit in the tool line. A wide range of price from the import brands to name brands.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM

If the link does not work search for " use Enco ".

Rich

Rich W
11-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Mike, One other thing about Enco. I read several machining groups and find there that Enco has free shipping frequently. They currently have a free shipping code to apply at checkout good through Dec 31. It is " RFS99 ". No quotes used of course. I do not think there is a minimum purchase on this one. Often there is. The code is inserted at checkout I think.

Rich