PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit sound reduction

Dave S
05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Curious to know if other Kitfox owners have taken any steps to install any sound deadening materials in their aircraft.

If anyone has done this - what steps have you taken and how effective have those actions been.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp

cap01
05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
dave , i skipped the insulation and went right to the anr mod for my david clark

Tom Waid
05-07-2011, 02:09 PM
My old Cessna came with fiberglass batting insulation. (I'm starting to itch just thinking about it.) It was such an annoyance that, when I replaced the headliner, I tore it out. Thinking about what to replace it with, I concluded that ANR headsets were the most practical solution. I agree with CAP01. (We have Lightspeed.)

cap01
05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
once upon a time a long , long time ago , i had a 170b that had spent some time in a barn before i acquired it . seems that several generations of mice had taken up residence in the headliner . the hot oklahoma sun really brought out the smell so i replaced the headliner and all the insulation . it was probably my imagination but on a hot day i could still smell it . therefore , i kinda like the idea of things not having anywhere to hide

Dick B in KY
05-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Dave, I used a fireproof and sounddeadening material on the inside of the firewall. Not finished building yet, so don't know the overall effect, but if you thump the firewall it is pretty quiet.

Dick B

rogerh12
05-07-2011, 07:05 PM
FYI ....

For those of you who have not yet had a fuel leak inside the aircraft of a aircraft, don't put anything on the floor that can absorb and hold fuel (including insulation). Beter yet, install a small screen on the bottom fabric to let fuel out, if nessisary. The kitfox has a great deal of fuel passing though the cabin, beter safe then .... well you know.

Roger