PDA

View Full Version : Window Reinforcement

Dick B in KY
11-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Anyone have any info on the reinforcing strip that goes between the door glass and the door frame in the hinge area? My Super Sport manual calls for it but does not give any material requirement, size, location, etc. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick B

jdmcbean
11-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Dick,
I will have to take a look at the manual... but there is not a strip between the glass and the door frame.

OK.. Mark is correct. It is a carry over detail..

Mark
11-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Dick,

At one time, the door skin was a two piece design with a poly-carb window and a lower painted fiberglass cover. These two pieces were joined together with a metal reinforcing frame all the way around the door. When the new one-piece window design came out, that frame was no longer necessary and eliminated from the assembly. My guess is that the manual was updated to show the single poly-carb piece (maybe Figure K4 in your manual), but inadvertently left the detail drawings still showing the old assembly (probably Figure K6 showing the "P" seal and hinge installation details). Anyway, the reinforcing strip is gone if you have a full poly-carb door.

TahoeTim
09-19-2015, 02:50 PM
I wanted to open this discussion again. I am wondering what the purpose of the inside strengthening plate is for? I am concerned about cracking the door skin if I tighten up the single hinge bolt against the vpn tape. Leaving that bolt only snug kinda eliminates the need for that plate.

I searched and found this thread and am thinking a metal plate between the door skin and the frame at the two hinge locations might be a good mod.

thoughts?

jrevens
09-19-2015, 10:43 PM
I wanted to open this discussion again. I am wondering what the purpose of the inside strengthening plate is for? I am concerned about cracking the door skin if I tighten up the single hinge bolt against the vpn tape. Leaving that bolt only snug kinda eliminates the need for that plate.

I searched and found this thread and am thinking a metal plate between the door skin and the frame at the two hinge locations might be a good mod.

thoughts?

I thought of that too, Tim. I fabricated some aluminum "washers", or spacers, of the proper thickness to allow the hinge to be tightened solidly to the frame while just very lightly contacting the plastic. I have the standard Lexan doors, & I enlarged those holes to give clearance for those "washers".

TahoeTim
09-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Makes perfect sense. I was thinking about another plate that matches the back plate and eliminating the sticky tape in that area. But I do like the washer idea too since the lexan would still be floating rather than clamped behind the hinge.

Thanks