PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox 3 wing twist

bbryan
11-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey guys, great site. I'm new! Not sure about the posting procedure yet. I am in the process of building a Kitfox 3 / 582 and its looking like I will have a lot of interesting questions.
It seems my construction book indicates 1 inch twist but someone has handwritten 1 3/4 in twist. Whats the deal?

RandyL
11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Bob, and welcome to the forum. No special procedure for asking questions, just post a message in the appropriate forum like you just did. Being a Kitfox newbie I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone will.

Welcome!

jdmcbean
11-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the forum and to the Kitfox Family !

Both 1" and 1.75" twists were used. If you are not the original owner and the wings have been installed previously they may have made a note to the wing twist used. It would be a good idea to verify which it is and which tanks you have... The wing tanks may be either as well.

paulc
11-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Bryan,

I too came across this when building my Mk3 wings and opted for the lesser twist at 1". I figured less drag. Don’t really think it matters too much. The idea is the wing tip will have less angle of attack and thus stall after the root which is a safe way to go.

Airfoils and power started to change after the Mk3 so I guess this had something to do with it.

Not sure how the wing tanks are supplied from the factory but I did not glue the top skin of my home made 13gal tanks until I could fit them to the finished wings and thus avoid the tank not twisting with the wing spars.

bbryan
12-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Sounds good, One inch it is. From what I see in my builders instruction, it looks like the previous owner of the kit was trying to incorporate model 3 and 4 into the same wing. Although I'm not sure if anyone has done that safely yet.