PDA

View Full Version : How can i weight my plane for cheap??

rogerh12
04-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Howdy;

Anyone know how to weigh my kitfox 4 accurately, but on the cheap?
My airport can't even weigh a plane that is less than 1000lbs, and they charge a bundle

Special bathroom scales, known to work good?

any help is appreicated.

Roger

Av8r3400
04-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Contact you local EAA chapter. They often have access to someone (or they have themselves) aircraft scales.

Local chapters, even inactive ones, are a wealth of knowledge and resources.

t j
04-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Three $14 scales I calibrated myself with known weights. If you need help get only one person. It is a simple process but some people make it way to complicated and it seems no two agree on the process.

N82HB
04-25-2011, 07:25 AM
I agree with Tom. That is a very easy way to get good numbers.
Just remember to remove the weight of tailstands etc.

Dorsal
04-25-2011, 07:32 AM
I did the same with a single scale and two "dummy" scales (blocks of wood of the same thickness as the scale).

Slyfox
04-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Three $14 scales I calibrated myself with known weights. If you need help get only one person. It is a simple process but some people make it way to complicated and it seems no two agree on the process.

those look like my scales, hay give them back:D

MotReklaw
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
I did my two homebuilts the way Tom did.

jtpitkin06
04-25-2011, 04:40 PM
If your bathroom type scale does not read high enough to weigh your aircraft, you can double the range with a plank and spacer. Place the scale under one end of the plank and a spacer the thickness of the scale under the other. Chock the aircraft wheel in the middle of the plank. Multiply the scale reading by two and subtract the weight of the plank. (The scale registers only half the weight of the plank, but you multiplied it by two.) The length of the plank doesn't matter, but a longer one, say about six feet, is more accurate.

vetdrem
04-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Using the plank and spacer will work, but you need to be sure that the weight of the plane is exactly centered on the plank between the spacer and scale. If not, the results will be VERY inacurate.

What I do in the case where I don't have a scale large enough for the job is to use two scales and a plank. with the plank between the two scales and the planes wheel anywhere in between, add the readings of both scales, subtract the weight of the plank, and you have the weight of that wheel. Very accurate and easy (no higher math, like multiplying by 2).

Another important point that was mentioned before, but is so important that it needs to be addressed again, the plane needs to leveled again each time the rig is moved from one wheel to the next.

I also agree with the use of only one helper.

Louie

Dorsal
04-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Vet, I like that approach, simple and effective plus you don't have to figure exactly where the center of pressure of the tire is. I am planning on weighing my plane again but as I don't want to drain the tanks it will be done with full tanks and then subtract the fuel, this will surely put it over the capacity of my scale. It is also a huge load off my mind to know I can do this using only addition and subtraction and avoid any complicated multiplying and ratios:D

herman pahls
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Find someone that has digital race car scales.
I used the bathroom scale methods in the past and really appreciate car scales.

enyaw
04-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Join an EAA chapter that has a set of scales.

HighWing
04-26-2011, 08:46 PM
I also used the bathroom scales method, but used a system once sold by ACS. They are called Ruggles Scales. ACS no longer lists them, but they are available elsewhere.

They consist of three scales and two multipliers as John suggests, but they are made of welded steel with the fulcrum points accurately located. The wheel pad pivots so the wheel location is always accurately positioned relative to the fulcrum. They are able to use a 2 multiplier as well as a 3 if needed. My old ACS catalog shows them listing at $275 for tailwheel and $310 for nosewheel. The website selling them now wants a phone call for pricing.

Lowell

rogerh12
04-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys, lots of great ideas here

Roger