PDA

View Full Version : i-fly 700

cainbird
04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Getting ready to buy a new gps and the i-fly 700 looks pretty darn nice. Anyone have one? Any good or bad input?

Thanks~Cain B

Lion8
04-23-2011, 06:33 PM
My flying buddy just bought one. We compared it against my Lowrance 2000C.
The I-fly has a much bigger screen. It has a nice chart screen. No other functions. As you fly, it is as if you had an open chart in front of you. The price is right for what you get.
The Lowrance has a moving map, a HSI, airport data with runways, etc. It is a standard GPS. With the I-fly you must sign up for the updates etc for $69. a year. My buddy had it working fine for the first two months trial period then it would not work. He call the Ifly company. The said he had to pay the $69 fee to keep it working. That is a little of what I see. Hope this helps -Tom

enyaw
04-23-2011, 08:57 PM
He call the Ifly company. The said he had to pay the $69 fee to keep it working.

The moving map is a current sectional (assuming you do the updates). If a chart is more than 12 months out of date it will stop displaying. So if you are cheap (don't want to pay $69/yr [works out to $5.75/mo.] to always have current sectionals) you could use the 2 mo. free and update all your charts just before free subscription runs out, use the outdated charts for 11 months and then subscribe (rinse and repeat) paying $69 once every 23 months (if you don't mind flying w/outdated charts, airport data bases, and TFRs). Personally I think it's a very reasonable charge.

I suggest any one considering the iFly 700 go to their web site (http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/HOME.aspx) and spend some time reading through the Forums (http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/SUPPORT/Forum/tabid/108/GroupID/4/Default.aspx)to see the level of customer support they provide. Look at the existing features and decide if the iFly is a good fit. This device is definitely tailored to the VFR pilot.

Note: I found this thread (http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/SUPPORT/Forum/tabid/108/forumid/8/threadid/771/scope/posts/Default.aspx)on chart expiration.

Lion8
04-24-2011, 06:24 PM
In regards to the last post. Keep in mind that the rare occurrences that you get a ramp check or be so unfortunate to have an issue that brings the wrath of the NTSB or FAA down on you only to find out you have been using an 'Out of date' chart. The $69.00 fee per year is not so bad. I think the FAA fines start at about 1k. Good luck and fly safe.

Dorsal
04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
As an FYI (lifted from another post on the topic)

The only FAA/FAR requirements that pertain to charts are:
Title 14 CFR section 91.503[a] (Large and Turbojet powered aircraft)
Title 14 CFR section 135.83 (Air Carriers-Little Airplane)
Title 14 CFR section 121.549 (Air Carrier-Big Airplanes)

The FAA has rendered interpretations that have stated the foregoing. The subject of current charts was thoroughly covered in an article in the FAA's July/August 1997 issue of FAA Aviation News. That article was cleared through the FAA's Chief Counsel's office. In that article the FAA stated the following:

"You can carry old charts in your aircraft." "It is not FAA policy to violate anyone for having outdated charts in the aircraft."
"Not all pilots are required to carry a chart." "91.503..requires the pilot in command of large and multiengine airplanes to have charts." "Other operating sections of the FAR such as Part 121 and Part 135 operations have similar requirements."
..."since some pilots thought they could be violated for having outdated or no charts on board during a flight, we need to clarify an important issue. As we have said, it is NOT FAA policy to initiate enforcement action against a pilot for having an old chart on board or no chart on board." That's because there is no regulation on the issue.
..."the issue of current chart data bases in handheld GPS receivers is a non-issue because the units are neither approved by the FAA or required for flight, nor do panel-mounted VFR-only GPS receivers have to have a current data base because, like handheld GPS receivers, the pilot is responsible for pilotage under VFR.
"If a pilot is involved in an enforcement investigation and there is evidence that the use of an out-of-date chart, no chart, or an out-of-date database contributed to the condition that brought on the enforcement investigation, then that information could be used in any enforcement action that might be taken."

If you, as an FAA Safety Inspector, Designated Pilot Examiner, Flight Instructor, or other aviation professional are telling pilots something other than the foregoing then you are incorrect.

RobS
04-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Dorsal,
Nice post! It looks like wherever you "lifted" it from got it directly from the FAA's FAQ page . . . .

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/faq/index.cfm?print=go

Dorsal
04-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Cool, that makes even more official:D, I thought I remembered that you are not, in fact, required to carry an up to date chart (all be it a good idea). I just did a quick search for corroborating evidence.