PDA

View Full Version : Jabiru 2200 carb choices???

herman pahls
04-15-2011, 11:57 AM
I have a 520 pound Model 2 Kitfox with 80 HP 2200 Jabiru.
I live at sea level and so far have done mostly local flying.
The stock Bing carb works great but not so great fuel burn.
Should I
1. Use a HACMAN with the Bing? $170.
2. Convert to Aero-jection by Sonex? $500.
3. Convert to Rotec TBI ? $1000.

All of these allow for mixture control.
The Aero-jection is appealing due to moderate cost, gravity fuel flow and no need for the enrichener control for the Bing.
I would appreciate this Forums comments and advice regarding their experience with these products.
Thanks Herman Oregon 541 404 6464

Av8r3400
04-15-2011, 03:08 PM
What is your fuel burn with your current setup?

What are you looking to have?

avidflyer
04-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Fuel burn with my 2200 Jabiru in my Avid MK IV is about 4 gal/hr at cruise of 2700 RPM. That isn't a reading with a fuel flow gauge, but rather what I will burn in the course of an hour long flight. Take care, Jim Chuk

herman pahls
04-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks for your responses Avidflyer and Av8r3400.
I do not have a good feel for fuel burn since I fly mostly short hops and many take offs and landings.
The fuel flow guage if accurate shows much higher fuel burn than 4 gph.
I have the 80 HP Jabiru propped so that it will show 3300 RPM at full throttle straight and level near sea level.
This prop gives great climb performance and is most likely responsible for poor cruise speed and fuel burn.
Since I am new to the Jabiru I need advice how to prop. it.
I flew this Kitfox for 12 years with a Rotax 532 and Ivo prop before installing the Jabiru.
It seems the 532 had better cruise speed and fuel burn than the Jabiru.
I was told that I would be disappointed in the climb performance of the 80 HP Jabiru compared to the 532 and I have not been.
Maybe I would be with a prop that gives better cruise/fuel burn.

Avidflyer. What cruise speed are you getting at 2700 RPM and 4 GPH?
Do you have 80 or 85 HP Jabiru?
What prop are you using and what is the maximum RPM that
prop will allow at full throttle?
What does your Avid weigh and does it have speed fairings?
Thanks Herman

avidflyer
04-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi Herman, My Avid weighs about 590 lbs empty. At 2700 RPM I cruise at 80-85 MPH. I have streamlined lift struts on my plane, but the landing gear are unfaired. I'm running a 64" Warp Drive prop that will turn up to about 2875 static. Flat and level wide open would probably be 3200RPM. It is kind of funny that when I had more pitch in the blades (2775 RPM static) it would climb just about the same as it does now. As the plane is set up now, it will do just about 100 MPH at full throttel. Just as a comparison, I used to have a very light Avid B with a 532, it weighed 445 lbs. I did some climb to 500' timed tests with it and with my Avid MK IV and here are the numbers. From start of take off run to 500' the B would do it in 33 seconds, it would take the MK IV 48 seconds. I had a 582 in my MK IV before I put the Jabiru in and it would climb better with the 582 than it does now, but cruise speed was slower. As far as props go, I've used several Tennasee Props on the plane also. What prop are you running? Here is another suggestion, next time you are going to go fly, make a mark or some how determine what the fuel level is in the tank, time the flight, and after flying refill to that same amount and do a little math to calculate your fuel burn. Take care, Jim Chuk

herman pahls
04-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Jim
Thanks for the info to help me compare performance.
Do you have 80 or 85 HP Jabiru?
I have a Tennessee prop.
I considered the Sensenich ground adj. but chose not to due to ~9 pounds extra weight.
I miss the simplicity of adjusting the pitch on the Ivo prop but that is not an option on the Jabiru.
Tell me more about the 64" Warp Drive.
What does it weigh in comparison to the Tennessee?
How easy to adjust?
I was told not to use one of the ground adj. props because it did not push air into the Jabiru cooling ducts as well as it should.
Tennesse is great to work with but what a hassle to ship it back and forth for pitch changes.
I plan on going to Idaho back country this summer and need to get the prop, cruise/fuel burn figured out.
Are you using the stock Bing carb. and do you have opinions or experience with Hacman, Aero carb or Rotec TBI.
I would like to talk with you.
Please call Oregon 541 404 6464
Thanks Herman

DBVZ
12-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Another 2200 question. The charging system. I seem to be getting no output. Someone please PM me with any information on how to trouble shoot the charging system. Ok, I am looking for a loose wire or rust on the magnets. Beyond that, any suggestions where to look and how to test the system? The battery is on a charge minder when in hangar, but if I fly for a few hours I can expect that the battery will not have the amps to start the engine again. I do not want to have to carry a spare battery with me to install if I get stranded somewhere. Is anyone using a "real" alternator on a Jabiru 2200? Which one? Thanks.

DBVZ
12-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Another 2200 question. The charging system. I seem to be getting no output. Someone please PM me with any information on how to trouble shoot the charging system. Ok, I am looking for a loose wire or rust on the magnets. Beyond that, any suggestions where to look and how to test the system? The battery is on a charge minder when in hangar, but if I fly for a few hours I can expect that the battery will not have the amps to start the engine again. I do not want to have to carry a spare battery with me to install if I get stranded somewhere. Is anyone using a "real" alternator on a Jabiru 2200? Which one? Thanks.

Turned out the dynamo is working. The problem is the load. I got over 14 volts at cruise power today, but only if I did not have all my equipment and lights on. EFIS and GPS are fine, but if I add the NAV lights and Beacon the volts drop to under 12. I do not leave the aux fuel pump on either, of course. So I just need to use only what is necessary, for as long as it is necessary. Good enough for day VFR, which is all I will be doing. And if it is hazy and I want more lights, I better plan on a recharge before I have to restart the engine. I had thought about a second battery with a switch to tie it in only when needed for restart; but that is more weight and trouble than I think it is worth as long as I monitor the power usage closely.

Dorsal
12-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Using LED based strobe and recognition lights can help a lot