PDA

View Full Version : Airfoil shape my horizontal struts – Help !!!!

rogerh12
04-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know of a good/cheap/easy way to make my round model 4 horizontal stabilizer struts more aero dynamic without replacing them with special airfoil struts?

Thanks

Roger

Dave S
04-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi Roger,

One way would be to bond some balsa wood to the strut, shape it to the right profile then wrap it with your covering material/shrink and finish the way you would for any fabric covered part.

I haven't looked recently, but, I believe aircraft spruce sells plastic airfoiled covers for round struts for a number of different size tubing.

Sincerely,

Dave S

chefwarthog
04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Hi rogerh12, at any hardware store they have, i am not sure of the name in english ''Door Casing'' (cadrage de porte) made in white PVC, the same that they have made from wood 2¼'' X 7'.
http://www.boulanger.qc.ca/wood-moulding/fiche-produit-A-5-en.php?Sec=1
So you need 4 of those, with a sawbench, trim off the back of a molding so that the smallness edge come to a razor edge. then cut at a 45° the thick side all a long. do the same for all moldings, then glue two of them back to back with epoxy. Now the two 45° cut will do a V style groove that will adapt to your round struts, fix the home made airfoil to the strut with epoxy. Finish with ceconit and paint.

Hope it will help you.

Eric

Bryan
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Roger I did what Dave S. was saying except I used white pine. It is a little heavier than the balsa but I figured it would hold up better. I then sealed it and covered with the fabric and painted. I have had no problems.