PDA

View Full Version : Main Gear Replacement

Robin G
11-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Has anybody replaced the standard bungee style gear with a Groves on one of the early models, a 3 to be specific? If so, how difficult is the installation and/or how extensive are the required changes to the fuselage? And also, was it worth it? Thanks.

Robin G

84KF
11-12-2008, 07:39 PM
".... was it worth it?"

Here is a pictorial testimonial to the strength and value of the Grove gear.

It was taken midway through a early sloppy, and somewhat violent crosswind landing.

Notice the right tire deflection, the tailwheel/rudder, and flapperon positions. (Quite a bit being done wrong here...I know.)

There was an extreme side load being applied on the gear at this time, and I wonder if a bungee gear might have folded under in these conditions.

I'm not ashamed to show the pic (since I was able to recover and go around, and didn't break anything). :o

Yes... having the Grove gear was\is worth it to me. :)

DesertFox4
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Robin, My 3 had bungee gear when I bought it. It was cambered out and toed in so every landing and takeoff was interesting. I didn't know any better as this was my first introduction to Kitfoxs. I just thought they were very touchy. After getting to know other Kitfoxers I found out this was not the norm. Bending the axles with a big pipe just didn't thrill me . Only solution was alum. gear change. Very easy to do . Took about 3 hours tops with axle change out and wheels/brakes ect. No mods at all to the fuselage. The thing fit perfectly. Gave me a wider stance and slightly longer from main axles to tail wheel. Really tamed the beast down and took the pucker factor out of both takeoffs and landings. Well worth more than the money you'll pay for the gear change.

jdmcbean
11-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Robin,
Give us a call if we can be any help..

Although some will argue weather it is worth it or not.. the fact is the wider gear has better ground handling and has better resistance to side loading. I know we shouldn't have any side loading during landing and I have never done that...

We also have a Bush Gear available for the Model 3's and 4's.. they may even work on the earlier model 1's and 2's.