PDA

View Full Version : Quick build wings and powder coated options

carpat
04-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I wonder what's the exact work done when ordering the quick build wings option and the wings pre-rig to fuselage? Are the bottom false ribs all installed, etc????

Also, when choosing the powder coated option, what is really powder coated? Is it only the airframe or some other parts just like the But Rib to fuselage?

This forum guys is really helpfull,

Thank you very much...

Pat

Dave S
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi Pat,

Can't say for sure on the bottom false ribs and the quick build - you might check the manufacturers website to see what is included with the quick build option. In any case - the false ribs are a piece of cake to install.

On the powder coating - my understanding is all of the steel parts (fuselage, elevator, HS, rudder pedals ) are powdercoated.

Sincerely,

Dave S

MotReklaw
04-06-2011, 06:38 AM
On my SS all the 4130 pieces were powder coated. There was a large box with powder coated parts too, containing 4130 steel parts. A couple of the pieces in the parts that you make were not, but very small minor pieces. I primed them after fashioning them. The factory will make these for you out of stainless steel, but I opted to make them myself for the "educational value." :)

We also got the quick built wings, and everything is there but for the fuel tanks installed and the butt ribs inplace. They do a beautiful job, better than I could have done. Now I wish I had ponied up the bucks for the pre-rig work to be done.

One thing my partner and I did was to fly out to Boise and tour the factory. That was a valuable experience and we got to meet the owners. If you can afford to do that I recommend it.

Good luck,
Tommy Walker

carpat
04-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Tommy, you confirm me that all the false ribs were installed by the factory?

darrell pralle
04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I received my ss kit in March last year. None of the false ribs are installed with the quick build kit, but it not very difficult to install them. I also ordered th pre-rig and am sure it saved a lot of time. I also ordered the pre fab kit and am sure it saved many hours. Am now at 650 hours and covering is done. Still have finish tapes to install on fuse and tail feathers. Have fun--Darrell

carpat
04-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you guys for all the information. This forum is very helpfull.

Pat

Paul Z
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't know if you have seen their Jigs, but if I were building a Kitfox, I definitely would pay for them to prebuilt and rig the wings.

Slyfox
04-07-2011, 08:55 AM
I think the kitfox wing is so easy to build. Two saw horses and I believe a 1/2 inch spacer and you can set it up in one day and glue and and go on. Easy wing to build, no need for a quick build.

szicree
04-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I got the powdercoat option and the quality was outstanding. I've painted a lot of stuff and am well set up for it, but I would dread prepping and painting that entire fuse and all the weldments that came with the kit. The powdercoat cost was money well spent.

Regarding the quickbuild option, I'd agree with Slyfox.

Dave S
04-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Steve,

Your dread for prepping and painting (i.e. sandblasting etc) is entirely warranted - been there - done that - don't need to repeat except for financial reasons....

Dave S

HighWing
04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Don't believe I totally agree with slyfox. I hope you didn't mean to suggest that the wing could be built up in one day. I agree that the sawhorse jig could be built in a day, but trimming and fitting the inserts, laying out the ribs, the drag antidrag tubes, and drilling all the holes and pulling a couple hundred rivets especially if it is a first time project - more like a couple of weeks or maybe a month for two wings. I don't want to discourage the wing building as I did exactly that on my first Model IV and would do it again, but I am the second owner of my current Model IV project and the wings were done by the previous builder - I Fit the wing tips, pitot tube and covered. There's a big big difference.

Slyfox
04-07-2011, 06:37 PM
No actually a weeks time. You get all your parts and set things up, takes about a week in good time. One day to adjust and glue.