PDA

View Full Version : Rib Stitch Tightness

kitfoxvixen9095
03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Need an opinion here, I've got a set of model 6 wings that were covered by the previous owner. while inspecting the wings i noticed that some of the cords seem to be a little slack where they go from top to bottom rib. how concerned should i be about this??

t j
03-27-2011, 08:13 AM
My opinion. The rib laces should be tight. Tight enough to strum like a fiddle string. The newer high powered kitfox needs some form of mechanical attachment of the wing fabric. I would redo it.

Do you have a copy of the manual for the covering process used? Most are real easy to re do even if you have to remove finish tapes. If you are lucky the wings are not painted yet.

Dave S
03-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Roger that....Rib stitches should not be slack (neither should they be so tight that the thread tears the fabric).

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear

kitfoxvixen9095
03-27-2011, 07:30 PM
the covering system was poly fiber and the wings are finished through silver.

Dorsal
03-28-2011, 04:18 AM
OK one more opinion, given that the rib stitching is optional (though a good idea) I would not worry if a few stitches where a little slack. The one inch cap strip provides a pretty good bonding surface and there are a number of Fox's with no stitching at all.You could also tighten them a little by pulling the two sides together inside the wing (if you can get at them).

t j
03-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Okay, thats not too much to redo. Get a copy of the polyfiber manual and study the repairs section. The manual is written for the first time user to understand easily. Then you'll have good information to make a decission on what you want to do.

HighWing
03-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I tend to agree with Dorsal. I sometimes think we forget that the polyfiber manual is written for the general population. They say rib stitching is necessary and chide those that say otherwise. Some ribs of the template built variety are no more than a quarter inch wide. For these, ribstitching by the book would be necessary. As Dorsal implies, if it was a problem in our fleet, we would have lots of reports of fabric separation on these forums and the absense of the same says something. I have seen sections of separation on the underside of the early undercambered wings, but apparently it didn't affect flight characteristics as it was never fixed.