PDA

View Full Version : Gap seal elevator suggestions please

rogerh12
03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
HOWDY;
I would like to hear some success stories regarding sealing the rather large gap on my kifox 4 elevator. Pics are welcome, but simple and effective ideas are best for me.

Thanks
Roger

chefwarthog
03-25-2011, 06:14 PM
My be you can try this screen door bug stoper, one piece on each side of the slot, one facing the other. It will be easy to remouve your turtle deck, for the flaperon slot and same for the elevator slot
and the seal will do by it self. Some of this have whisker more stiffer then others. Hope it will fit, good luke.

Av8r3400
03-25-2011, 07:50 PM
I used yellow racing tape (duct tape). The color is almost spot on for my lemon yellow polytone finish.

The difference in flair for 3-point landings was quite noticeable, especially with flaps down. Much better elevator authority across the envelope.

My installation technique:

with elevator full nose down I put the yellow duct tape across the top of the gap
then with the elevator tied full nose up I put tape across the bottom gap
Center the elevator and smoothly stick the center of the gap together

rogerh12
03-25-2011, 10:09 PM
And where can somone find this majical racing tape? I have never heard
of it. Also, can it be removed without damaging the paint?

Thanks !!!!

Roger

SkySteve
03-26-2011, 09:28 AM
I did the exact same technique as Av8r3400. I found some clear weatherproof Duct tape at Home Depot. It's been on for 2 yrs and is still totally clear and pliable. You really don't even notice it.

jrthomas
03-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Clear book binder tape works well. We've used it on several different planes, applying it from the top and the bottom and letting the tape meet between the horizonal and the elevator. It has to be replaced every couple of years. James Thomas

Av8r3400
03-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Colored "racing tape" can be had at most speed shops or automotive parts stores.

I've never had to remove it, so I don't know what it does or does not do to the underlying paint...

cardinal flier
03-27-2011, 08:21 AM
My buddy uses 3 M book binder tape on his Edge 540 that he flies in Unlimited IAC. Works great and can be removed without leaving much residue. Residue can be cleaned.

Bruce Estes
Still in phase one (weather sucks this time of the year, even in California)
KF IV, 912, IVO IFA
Lots of fun

Slyfox
03-28-2011, 01:36 PM
2 inch packaging tape. clear. pull off a strip the size you need, lay it on the table, take another piece the same length. take that one and set it on the other piece of tape so you touch each with the sticky side but only half the width. steady now, you can mess it real easy. Now take what you have, sticky on both sides, and put it into the gap and apply on the horizontal and than pick up the elevator and reach under the elevator and stick the other end onto the elevator. Done, now it's sealed. Now you can leave it or find your color paint at the hardware store and spray to match.

catz631
03-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Roger,
Then of course you could go this way.
Dick

cap01
03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
dick , what is that stuff ? ive seen it before but dont know where to get it .

Dorsal
03-30-2011, 12:34 PM
As I recall he got it at a flea market, can't find a source and continues to tease us with pictures of really excellent solution that is just out of reach:D

kitfox2009
03-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Hello All
I have experimented with the tubular foam pipe insulation that is very much like the material CATZ631 shows in the pics. I plan on cutting to fit, then cover it with tape. The two pieces just roll next to each other. So far I have only tried it on the short outer sections of the elevator on my Vixen. If I decide to do more I will take some pics. I plan on using the 3/4" size. It`s very inexpensive:try some and see what you think. Should availabe at any hardware outlet.

Don

catz631
03-31-2011, 04:44 AM
Don,
Dorsal was right I was teasing (sorry ,couldn't help myself) . I found a 6 ft length of this stuff at a flea market,bought it for a buck and didn't know what to do with it till I got home from my NC vacation. When I went back and wanted to buy more...no joy. They guy didn't even remember where he got it. It is figure 8 shapped rubber about 2 inches wide. I just cut the ends off and it slipped right into the gap. It is a perfect solution. I assure you IF I ever find more,I will gobble it up !
Dick