PDA

View Full Version : Flying with doors open

goneflying
03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Are there any concerns with flying with the doors open.

SkySteve
03-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Flying with the doors open? Are you kidding? Dude, it's still March. It's still snowing. It's still freezing. We're still adjusting door molding. We're still running the heater. Really.

Now, when summer comes, yea baby. Doors open, or no doors at all. Low, slow. Gotta love it.

Make sense?

goneflying
03-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the input. You guys must be whimps down there in the states. Us Canadians aren't afraid if a little cold. Just kidding hopefully we are not far off the good weather. Thanks again and happy flying.

Dorsal
03-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Somehow this just seems like a bad idea
unless you maybe have a yellow plane? :D

Geowitz
03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Not to be the fun ruiner and I know flying with the doors open is perfectly safe and fun, but just something to watch out for... I do recall some saying that having the doors open on takeoff significantly lengthened ground roll on takeoff and hampered clime to an extent. Haven't tried it myself, so I have no first hand experience, but just something to watch out for. Shouldn't be a big deal to open and close during flight.

goneflying
03-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks all for all the valuable input. I have braved the winter up here in Ontario, we have flown in -27C on the ground and have had a blast doing so. i am in the process of getting my ultralight license and the use of frozen lake is quite beneficial to the taking off and landing training. I am sure looking forward to getting into some nice weather and wheels. I should be solo very soon and on my way.

Thanks again
Byron MacLean

p.s. good note about the yellow plane .

My Girl "Dirty Gertie"