PDA

View Full Version : O200 Crank

MotReklaw
03-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Just found out today the crank in my engine is bad, can't be overhauled. So, I'm looking for a serviceable crank and hope I don't have to buy new $$$$$$$$..

Any leads will be appreciated.

Tommy Walker
Alabama

DesertFox4
03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Tommy, sorry to hear about your engine problem. Hope your quest is successful. Good luck and hope you are airborne again shortly.

jtpitkin06
03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Try ASOD, Air Salvage of Dallas.

They have a crank for $850
Journals chromed and polished.

http://www.asod.com/eng4sale.htm

MotReklaw
03-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Looking them up now, John.
Thanks for the tip.

Tommy

Try ASOD, Air Salvage of Dallas.

They have a crank for $850
Journals chromed and polished.

http://www.asod.com/eng4sale.htm

MotReklaw
03-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Followup:

We decided to go ahead and get a new crank. All the green tagged ones were within a few hundred dollars. So we feel comfortable with a new one from Aircraft Specialties in Tulsa. One less thing to worry about.
The case was sent to a shop in Tulsa and found to have a crack which is repairable, so if the cam grinds down successfully we will be good to go.
New brgs, rings, gasket kit, etc.

My $4000.00 Wentworth special will wind up costing me around $9k, but it should be in good shape when we finish.

Still, having owned two 912S Rotaxes, I would have bought one in a heartbeat if anything had been available.

We will be looking for some good bargains at SNF next week with our dwindling supply of reserve $$$$$. Will be looking for a prop, some instruments, lights, radio, 150 muffler....

Tommy Walker in Alabama

ken nougaret
03-27-2011, 06:03 AM
tommy,
i feel your pain. i feared that my o-200 crank would be rejected due to corrosion and pitting, but it passed inspection by aircraft specialties. i picked up a camshaft from d&s cam(had a bad lobe on mine) and my case is free of cracks. my initial investment in the engine was about $3500, so i figure under 9k to complete. are you working the cylinders yourself or sending them somewhere? i'll probably take mine to don george in orlando.
i think you sent me your phone number, i'll hope to see you at sunnfun. i've spoken with TacNav and will be meeting him there.
ken

MotReklaw
03-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Ken,

Yes, it is painful ain't it? But could have been worse. Our cam is good and I forgot to send the lifters so sent them this week for resurfacing to match the reground cam. The engine had about 170 hrs on it since overhaul. My advisor mechanic checked the cylinders, pistons and rods and the valves and seats are good, so we are waiting on the parts to put them together. Probably sometime in April.

my cell number is 256-473-9282. Hope to meet up with you sometime during the week.

Tommy Walker in Alabama

MotReklaw
04-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Well our trip to SNF got cut short. We woke up yesterday morning to torrential rain. We were staying about 30 miles east of Lakeland-Linder Airport. After considering wading through the mud and what we still had to look at and/or buy, we decided to come home.
About noon, I began getting calls from folks at home wanting to know if we were ok. As you probably know by now, a tornado ripped through the airport and destroyed many aircraft. Thankfully no fatalities. We spent some time looking at the Zenith aircraft while there, having built two previously. The next time I saw a photo of the area, a 750, 801 and others were severely damaged. My sympathies go out to the Zenith folks. They are good people and have suffered a lot with the 601 issue they faced a few years ago. This will set them back even more. I've been in the yellow 750 you probably saw in the news. That is what we were going to build next until we investigated the Kitfox line.
I'm trying to follow up on my vendor contacts this morning to take advantage of their offers.
God bless all the folks at SNF.

Tommy Walker in Alabama