PDA

View Full Version : Quickbuild options

carpat
02-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi guys,

I'm about to make the leap. Before I do, I wanted to know how many time saving should I expect by ordering the quickbuild wings, pre-rig to fuselage and pre-fab kit options?

B.T.W. I just had a chat with John McBean and he told me they were about to raise price of the kit. That's sad...

Thanks for the info...

Pat

Paul Z
02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
I would recommend flying up and having him help with getting the fuselage covered. A very reasonable price, and a tremendous amount of progress, in very short period of time!

Tom Waid
02-22-2011, 05:01 AM
I purchased my SS kit without the quick build options. Since my wife and I already own an airplane we don't have to complete the Kitfox to satisfy our urge to go flying. With that I can relax and enjoy the building process.

Looking at my official log I have 111 hours fabricating the wings to the same point they would be if I had purchased the quick-build option. I have 16
hours rigging the wings. (More than that in man-hours since I had other people helping me.) In addition I have 23 hours fabricating parts that are in the pre-fab kit. That is a total of 150 hours which is considerable. All this work plus some work done on the horizontal tail took a little less than a year of part-time work.

Andrew G
02-26-2011, 04:28 AM
Demand is up, all airplane makers have suffered since 2008... they deserve to cover costs/make a profit.

However, the LSA field is packed (less so with Piper's pullout), and in my humble opinion, the group who can create a great product (like Kitfox) and deliver a finished package for $75k (built) is going to win, and win huge. Aerotrek is doing it, and they are close, but they don't have the SS 7 product... and the materials/engines/labor content is the same... the diff is eastern european labor in Aerotrek's favor... but that can be addressed. Our factory now competes with China, and we are in CT... a lot more expensive than Homedale.

Much better than Kitfox going into financial difficulty like many of them...