PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Kitfox Group Flight to Bahamas 2011

MikeOwens
02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Nineteen LSA planes just flew the 87 mile trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport Bahamas in December. Great article in Sport Flying Magazine by the EAA. Also, this article on line at BanyanAir.com Thought I'd throw the idea out to see if anyone would be interested in flying a group of Kitfox's over sometime in 2011. I have friends there with a home on the water right by the airport. They would welcome anyone on floats to tie up in their private cove. Let me know if there's any interest. I'm thinking sometime between August and December 2011. [The Bahama Government is really making it easy and welcoming small, LSA / Experimental Aircraft with courtesy and assistance.]

Squirrelfox
03-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Mike ,

My kit arrives in June. If I don't sleep, drink mega caffeine, and enslave my extended family...I could make December;yeah right! Could you make it 2012?

Seriously, I can't wait for your sucessful adventure. It will give me great motivation

MikeOwens
03-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Flying from Titusville to our departure point, which will probably be around West Palm Beach or Ft. Lauderdale, should be easy. This would make for a nice motivator to get your Kitfox built by the Fall and put some "land" hours on it before making the short ocean crossing.
By the way, I think there will be at least one boat making the trip under us.
Hope you can make it - - even if it's as a passenger in one of the other planes, or mine.
Have fun building!
Mike

SkyPirate
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
here is something for you guys flying to the bahamas

http://www.myoutislands.com/USA-private-pilots.cfm

might be some good info on the site

Chase

MikeOwens
03-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks Chase,
This looks excellent.
Mike

SkyPirate
03-04-2011, 07:03 PM
your welcome Mike ,.thought it might have some good info.

Chase

BigJohn
03-06-2011, 08:06 AM
A Small group of us in S. CA are strongly considering a trip, Most fly Kitfox's or Avids a few fly othere LSA aircraft (Non on Floats) if the timing is right we may beg to join in.

MikeOwens
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM
John,
That sounds great.
It looks like their will be two trips. In June the LSA group is making a trip to several areas in the Bahamas.
Last year they went in December, so we decided to coordinate the LSA float planes with their schedule.
However, they have moved their schedule to June for 2011.
Here's the link to the folks organizing that event.

http://www.banyanair.com/blog/?p=296

The Fly-In for December will be a combination of Float planes and regular wheel operations to the Freeport Aiport.

If June works better for you guys, contact Banyon Air.
If December works better, let's keep in touch.
Thanks,
Mike

chefwarthog
03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't know if you have seen this video from areo news network about John McBean that fly in to Bahamas just before The Sebring LSA show 2011, may be he can show pictures, if he has some.

It would be nice to see ladys in bikini next to a Kitfox on the beach of the Bahamas. it my be worth the & 350.00 ticket to land on the beach but those photos would be priceless on the website

Presto....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_o9LFslf0&feature=feedu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_o9LFslf0&feature=feedu)

And it would be more comfort to see those pictures, that the 12'' of snow that fell in Quebec last night...This is my Bahahahamas.

Eric

DesertFox4
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Eric, thanks for the link to the Bahama's video.

Squirrelfox
03-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Time to confess:

Thanks to John and Paul's Bahama trip during Sebring, I was able to close the deal and finally order my kitfox. I have enough inteligence (barely) to understand I needed my wife's approval. She love's the islands off our Florida coast... Talking with Paul was all it took.

John, I'd like to think you planned it that way. Thanks.

Eddie B.

cap01
03-09-2011, 09:01 PM
good for you eddie . now all you have to do is convince her that she likes to do fabric work so she can help .