PDA

View Full Version : Dynon D-180

Av8r3400
02-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Has anyone ever installed one of these in a Kitfox, yet?

I am seriously considering one of these units to go into my IV-1200 restoration.

It would need to work with or be compatible with a King KLX135A GPS-Comm, 76A Transponder\Encoder and a Garmin Aera 500.

Thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Slyfox
02-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I have the D180 in my rv. I really like it, thought about a dynon for the kitfox, but I always look out the window so who cares. in fact I do the same in the rv. but if stuck in clouds I'll be set in the rv better. I guess stay out of the clouds in the kitfox. The only item that would matter would be the king gps, will it fire up the HSI on the d180. I have the 696 and it does fire up the HSI, do I use it,.... NO. I follow the magenta brick road on the 696. It spurts also info for winds on the D180 do I use that ... NO. I figure it out myself in my head. I trust what I see on true airspeed and ground speed more I guess. Other than that nothing else matters. Now on your sensors, the dynon takes the one wire sensors, if you have two wire, the reading will be too low. Outside of that I say go for it. I would do it again in the RV, no question.

Av8r3400
02-09-2011, 03:24 PM
That's been my internal debate.

Should I do a D6 or other "little" EFIS and just keep the individual engine gauges or should I do an EMS readout or go all in for an all-in-one box...

I think the all-in-one is more economical than two independent boxes.

Slyfox
02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
don't forget the split screen for ems and flight. The fuel flow computer is awsome.

szicree
02-09-2011, 03:54 PM
I think the most compelling feature of an EMS is that it self monitors and alerts you if something goes out of the green. A few seconds additional warning on a loss of oil pressure, for example, could make a big difference.

Dorsal
02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
I have the duel "little" ones and a 696, love the combo. That said a d180 would have given me a bigger screen and worked just as well. I, for one, can't imagine going back to pure steam.

Av8r3400
02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Dorsal, I love your panel. How did you do that printing for the switches?

War Eagle
02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I have the D-180 in my Series 7.

I liked the bigger screen, also the split screen ability, interfaces with my Avmap GPS, shows AOA and with the high nit screen is very readable when the sun is coming in the back window.

I use the encoder from the 180 to my Narco encoder and it works great. I believe the Dynon web site has some info on GPS interface. That's where I found out my AvMap would work just fine.

The unit is easily setup and can be easily changed if you want to show more or less things on the screen.

It doesn't take much juice and I have mine tied in to a backup battery setup if I was to ever loose my main electrical system (so I can still have my GPS, the D-180 and the fuel pump to keep the engine running while I'm looking for a place to set down)

Av8r3400
02-09-2011, 06:15 PM
War Eagle - Would you recommend the "extra bright" screen as mandatory in a Kitfox?

Dorsal
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks! the labeling is dry transfer lettering with a clear coat.

Slyfox
02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I think the extra bright screen is a great idea in any plane. I have the extra and love it.

War Eagle
02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Probably not mandatory but you do get some washout in the bright sun when you only have the standard screen.

Mine is significantly brighter and visible in the direct sunlight. Several of the Series 7s we built used the D10. It didn't have a bright screen option when it first came out and when they ride with me they all remark how easy it is to see the screen of my D180 in the sunlight.

Two of the pilots have sent their D10 in and have purchased the upgraded bright screen.

I think you would be much happier in the long run if you went with the bright screen option.

SaintAero
02-13-2011, 09:19 PM
I installed the D180 in my SuperSport and enjoy the EFIS and EMS in one unit.

The D180 will accept the serial data from the Aera 500 ( I have a Aera 510 interfaced to the D180) and display course deviation, desired track, actual track and the wind vector on the EFIS as well as the HSI page. I don't think you would use the HSI page if you want the EMS-EFIS display. The EFIS heading tape does a good job for navigation.

The KT76A needs a Dynon serial to gray code converter. I mounted it to the side of the KY 76A rack.

I don't think the KLX135A has the NMEA 0183 serial output for the D180. It is not listed in the product specs. The D180 cannot accept the CDI outputs for analog devices

Don

flybymike
02-13-2011, 11:07 PM
I have it in my SS and had it in another plane. Absolutely love it, it's the best bang for the buck.

SkyPirate
02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
I was going to use the MGL Oddyssey,. but that thing is huge with a 12 + " by 8.5" foot print on the panel,..seriously looking at the dynon again,..I think the only problem I'll have is my choice of engine, if that's going to be a problem at all ,..modifying the engine monitor connectors on the engine to accomidate the dynon probes,.. where MGL says that I shouldn't have a problem at all connecting their product ,..I still have plenty of time to make that decision ,..it's just lurking in the back ground as a possible delimma to the decision.

Chase

Dorsal
02-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Should not be a problem connecting the Dynon to any conversion (or other) engine.

HighWing
05-30-2011, 12:20 PM
New to this thread. Hope not too late. I am helping a friend finish a Series 5 with D-180 and D-100. No other panel instruments. My question has to do with start up. With my round gauges, I always liked to monitor oil pressure as it would rise to operation pressure before the engine came to life. Do you with the D-180 turn it on during cranking to monitor engine perameters, or do you fire up the D-180 after the engine is running.

Thanks,

Lowell

DesertFox4
05-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Lowell, I don't have a glass panel yet but I would not start my engine with the panels hot.
A safe way to counter the large spikes and drops during starting is with TCW's Intelligent Power Stabilizer. Economical insurance for your panels and would safely allow you to monitor oil pressure during start ups.
TCW Intelligent Power Stabilizer. (http://www.tcwtech.com/IPS-12v.htm)
" The IPS system allows electronic equipment such as engine monitors, EFIS and GPS’s to be operational before and during engine starting." I'll be converting to a glass panel this summer and TCW's IPS will be part of the upgrade.

desertfox1
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I have a D120 in one plane and the D180 in the other.
Both are wired hot to the Master so you can check oil
pressure. No problem in about 400 hours in 78KA.

Dorsal
05-30-2011, 04:17 PM
I have my Dynon EMS hot while starting, no problems so far.

HighWing
05-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. After my post, it occurred to me that the two Dynons in the panel are wired to a separate Dynon switch and the D-180 could be fired up on battery power if desired, the only connection to the buss through the always on battery trickler connection.

Thanks again.

Lowell