PDA

View Full Version : Sun n Fun

Dorsal
02-01-2011, 04:31 AM
With yet another major snow storm imminent it felt like a good time to think about flying someplace warm. Anyone else planning on going this year?

Av8r3400
02-01-2011, 06:33 AM
I went last year. It was okay. If you go, bring lots of $$$$. It is very expensive there. ($16 for a sandwich, fries and a drink!)

ken nougaret
02-01-2011, 09:13 AM
i've gone every year for the past 10 yrs. the wife and i enjoy camping for the week. of course i'm only a 1/2hr drive away from lakeland. i actually like it better than oshkosh. but this year will be a little different seeing as how my s7 kit is on order. i will be looking for any and all kitfox's. hope many of you are there. ken

MotReklaw
02-01-2011, 09:19 AM
My two buddies and I are going. We got a 3 br condo in Davenport and will drive in each day, Tuesday-Friday. Tried camping one year but that's not for me. We hope to visit some of the demonstrations and perhaps catch a good deal on a few items and of course see the Blue Angels perform. If anyone is going to be there in a KF we would love to see it.

We are about 25% complete on building our KF SS.
Things I'm looking for:
Oil sump for an O200 engine
Cessna 150 exhaust
Dynon, MGL, or AFS EFIS/EMS
Lighting - Strobes, position, etc.
Radio
Xponder
etc.

War Eagle
02-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I am planning to go to Sun-n-Fun but I am driving rather than flying my Series 7.

I have a daughter that lives in Brandon and we are going to drive there, spend some vacation time with her, then go to the show and then visit some relatives on the way back to Idaho. Will probably be on the road 3 weeks or so.

Wouldn't mind meeting some of you KF drivers (and put a face on a name)if you are there at the show. Maybe we could meet for some of the activities there.

MotReklaw
02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I would like to meet some other KF builders/owners.
Anyone know an event or some such we could meet at? There will be 3 in my party and we are building a KF SS.

War Eagle, we would like to see your KF.... I wanted to show my buddies your riveted wing fabric. Plus it is just one nice looking aeroplane.

Tommy

Peteohms
02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm planning to go, but am going to carpool in a friends 172. I'm wondering what the typical weather is for that week. Also in the regular aircraft camping how do get a good spot near the showers?

War Eagle
02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I have been there six times over the years and it has been mostly in the 70's & 80's.

Sometime it rains in the morning and/or evening but sunny during the day.

One year it had been so dry that the area was dealing with forest fires.

Sometimes a storm will come in with lots of wind and rain but it is usually over quickly. I have never seen it cold that you needed anything other than a very light jacket and maybe a rain poncho or umbrella so you don't get caught is a rain shower.

Usually you need a hat, sun glasses, lots of sun screen and good walking shoes.

I have never camped on the grounds so I can't offer any advice on getting close to showers. If it is like Oshkosh and Arlington, they actually have multiple locations that are usually within a somewhat reasonable walking distance.

ken nougaret
02-15-2011, 11:40 PM
i agree with war eagle. temps may even reach the 90's during the day. i've never flown in so i'm not sure of the shower situation for aircraft campers. ken

Av8r3400
02-16-2011, 06:13 AM
When I flew in last year, we parked in the HBC (homebuilt camping) area. The showers were very nice (IMO better than Oshkosh) and were a 1/4 mile walk from us. Like any of these gatherings, if you choose the right time to go, you need not wait in line.

Food bought on the field was (as I said before) embarrassingly expensive. However, where we were parked, there was a "courtesy" tent near by run by some locals. They were very, very nice people that brought in sandwiches and soda and even beer with only a donation jar on the table. For fun, one night we ordered pizza and had it delivered through a hole in the fence.

Peteohms
02-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Looking @ the map it seems that the camping for gen av aircraft is a very small area.

Pete

jmcamy
02-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I go almost every year and camp in the light plane area - formerly Paradise City, I do it on the cheap, bring my own groceries.
Lots of good fun fellowship to be had, of course I drive in rather than fly.

ken nougaret
02-21-2011, 07:58 AM
the map is deceiving; the aircraft camping area is actually quite large, especially the west end by runway 9. i don't think anyone has ever been turned away. ken

MotReklaw
02-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Just wondering....

Does anyone know if there is a place to rent lockers at SNF? I'm planning to buy some stuff while there and don't want to cart a heavy starter or alternator around all day.

Thanks,

Tommy Walker
Anniston, AL

Peteohms
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
What qualifies as a "light plane" and how do you get to be assigned there?

Dorsal
02-21-2011, 04:44 PM
If someone with experience wants to recommend a camping area I would happily set up with other KFers.

jmcamy
02-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Hey Pete,

We qualify as "light plane", it is actually the ultralight, trike and sportplane area, you don't have to be assigned, just fly to the ultralight grass strip and use their procedures.
It is on the south side of Lakeland and you'll want to approach from there to avoid the busy air traffic on the the north side.

Always see at least a few Kitfoxes and Avids there, in addition to Kolb etc, in fact Skystar was using this side of the show to feature their acft everyday before they went belly up.
This is where all the action used to be as far as light experimentals go, turnout has really gotten dismal in the past few years, plenty of room there even when its was hopping busy.

Tent camping there and showers just for this area as well, look for a gray Honda van w' a large rooftop cargo box, TX plates, usually parked next to a converted Greyhound bus.

Tommy, if you need a place to store some stuff during the show, you can lock it up in my cargo box on the roof of my van or in the van itself, I'll be there for the duration of the show, will have Shiner Bock and Bud light to share as well!

John Butcher

Dorsal
02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
John,
How long is that grass strip? looks about 800 ft?

MotReklaw
02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I will definitely make it down to the light plane area. Would love to meet some of you guys. Thanks for the offer. Will see what we can scarf from some of the vendors/traders.

Tommy

Av8r3400
02-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Having watched flight opps there last year, I would say there is plenty of room for a Kitfox at the UL area at Sun 'n Fun. (Even one of those heavy SS planes... ) There were several operating when I was watching.

The UL strip at Oshkosh is 1200' with trees at the north end. Flying in and out of there is challenging, but fun. The UL area in Lakeland is mostly open at both ends so a lower/shallower final approach is possible.

If I ever go back to S 'n F I'd definitely consider flying into that area...

jmcamy
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Hey Dorsal,

The grass strip is a bit longer than that, abt. 1400' if memory serves correct, it lies between the main entrance and chopper town, on the southern boundary if you look at the convention map, parallel to Pipkin rd. John

Dorsal
02-22-2011, 05:19 AM
John,
Thanks, light plane area it is then. I was confused by a google earth image showing an 800 ft strip, I guess they extend that for SnF. 1400 is more than plenty and I read the 2009 NOTAM which was helpful.
Hope to see you there.

Squirrelfox
02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Greetings all: I volunteer at Sun N Fun at GA parking and tent out at volunteer left of seaplane base. I agree UL camp is the place to be for Kitfox fly-ins. Besides that's where the highlanders hang out! Good showers, etc. We're a week early this year and the past few years brought strange wx. Rainy, cold, hot, dry, muddy, dusty...etc. Welcome to Florida! I'll have some storage for those that fly in as I usually don't move the car for eight days.

Just wanted to add an observation from last year. I noticed that UL/light plane was a little "dead" last year; compared to previous years. Most of the action "seemed" to be toward Home Built Camping. The ultralight community seemed to dry up a little as LSA blossomed. Still, All the powered parachute, trike, and UL folks that hung around were great. No comment...just observation. (don't rip my head off too badly)

Dorsal
03-27-2011, 04:44 AM
Looks like we are not going to make it this year, weather looks too unsettled on the East coast (shocking I know). Maybe next year, still hoping to make Osh.

Av8r3400
03-27-2011, 06:16 AM
(Come to the Ultralight Field at Airventure. That's where all the fun is... :D)

Squirrelfox
03-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Dorsal,

Sorry to here you can't make it. I'm leaving tommorow via extreme low altitude (driving I-4). Looks like it might be a wet week. I hope its a grand event again.

Also sorry John and Debra can't make it....understand they have to pick their strategy.

Eddie B.

Sun N' Fun GA parking trailer (next to Seaplane base)

MotReklaw
03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
We are here. There is a dearth of KFs. And that is sad because few of the SLA planes compare. Looked at the Just airplane and saw it doing demos in the ultra light area. Legend Cub is here. Great looking plane, but also great amounts of $$$. Savannah, Zenith, and the other competitors are here in force.

Maybe by next year we will have a finished Kitfox Super Sport that is show worthy and John/Debra can fly down and use it as a demo plane....

We are having a great time, bought a chance on a Young Eagle built KF3 and are enjoying the sights.

Dorsal
03-31-2011, 10:29 AM
You OK? seeing pictures of bad stuff happening.

Tom Waid
03-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Bad weather over Central Florida. Planes flipped at SNF. So far no reports of serious injury. (http://www.theledger.com/article/20110331/NEWS/110339894/1410?Title=Authorities-Report-Building-Collapse-at-Sun-n-Fun&tc=ar)

War Eagle
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
The SNF area was hit by a storm at about 11:45am local time. Tornado warnings were out. Wind reported at 90 mph gusts and it just tore up the whole exhibit area. Don't know if the tornado actualy touched down at SNF but I felt two distinct wind bursts that tore the big display tent I was in right off it's tie downs and sent all the material and furniture inside the tent airborn. Rain was coming down in torrents. I saw people hit by flying debris and blown down on the ground. Planes were damaged everywhere in the display area. Couldn't see extent of damage in the parking and camping areas. The damage will total in the millions. So glad I didn't fly my plane to SNF.

Here are some pics. I feel so sick for the people and damage sustained by exhibters and plane owners.

DesertFox4
03-31-2011, 01:00 PM
This is sad news. Looks like Lockwood lost their Aircams. Several RV's damaged and a Husky. Lots of vendor aircraft damaged. Zenith suffered a major hit it looks like. Tie downs can't defeat a tornado.

chefwarthog
03-31-2011, 01:55 PM
At least the KitFox family have see it right to pass there turn on that sun n fun expo, Im hope no body of teamKitfox, where there with there plane. it was not sun and fun, but stom and fear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaSYbSVE1oY&feature=feedu

Av8r3400
03-31-2011, 05:24 PM
I got a text from a friend there. He said a tornado went through and his tent was destroyed but he is okay...

Looks like several planes sustained damage from the storms... :(

(I never go to an event like this without insurance....)

Andrew G
03-31-2011, 05:40 PM
A compelling video... tragic, all the blood, sweat, tears and $ put in those planes, etc...

May have to cut and paste, as I don't know how to link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNt1BKqF3a0

MotReklaw
04-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Dorsal, we decided to leave and come back home Thursday morning due to the rain in the area. I didn't feel like slogging through the mud and rain.
See my remarks in the Engine section.
Tommy Walker in Alabama

Paul Z
04-03-2011, 07:06 AM
My prayers go out to all of those that suffered such devistation.

Peteohms
04-04-2011, 08:10 AM
I was there in the Home Built Camping. My Kitfox III was not damaged but it showed signs of being lifted off the wheels. "The Claw" held. An nice looking Avid in the row in front of me was smashed and a Legend Cub home built next to me was totaled. It was only a year old and was a work of art. I was a mile away in Hangar A when it hit standing in front or the "Claw" booth. I told them I sure was hoping their product held. I was silently praying that my plane did not smash another plane or hurt someone as I walked back after the disaster. The Good Lord was shining down on me.

To say I'm lucky would be an understatement. I flew both ways from North of Austin, TX with a tailwind 80% of the time. I bought a second hand Bose headphone set for $50 from a friend who bought a new one and now I think I'll run out to get a lottery ticket.

DesertFox4
04-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Pete, happy to hear you and Kitfox are OK.

Peteohms
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Thank you Steve! Don't know how 73BH survived but a prayer did not hurt.

chefwarthog
04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I am a bit surprise Peteohms, to learn that you were there and you very light Kitfox did not takeoff without you and that you made it safely home. For my self if the plane that i will invest TIMESSSS & MONEYSSSS be ruin by a tornado, I think ill go towards the nearess cliff and ahaha

t j
04-05-2011, 06:54 AM
I have always wondered if it would be a good idea to fold the wings back if I was caught in a wind storm. This one seems to have caught everyone unaware so there wasn't much time. The plan I have in my head is to point the tail into the wind with the wings folded and tie the main gear wheels and tail wheel down.

Peteohms
04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Well I do have insurance and my Kitfox Is 20 years old. Since I did not build it, it would not have been as bad as if I put 1000+ hours into it building.

Zorro
04-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Well I was just yesterday looking for tie downs,, You sir have sold me on the claw.
I saw that video and couldn't help noticing how the cockpit was fine, a pilot would have been safer getting into the Kitfox than running away from the tornado.