PDA

View Full Version : HKS Engine report

Mnflyer
11-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi all, I now have a little over 300 hrs flying the Kitfox III with the HKS 700E, in less than 3 yrs. I am very happy with conversion from the Rotax 582, the conversion cost $9000.00 including engine, engine mount added instruments, minor coeling modes. It is now like a free conversion, the 582 overhaul 3 yrs ago would have cost $2500.00 now it would cost $3000.00 and be due now, sold the 582 for $2550 so that leaves $950.00 from the $9000.00 fuel saving for 300 hrs = $1313.oo so I,m $363.00 ahead, not counting spark plugs, 2 stroke oil. There is still 500 hr tp TBO with HKS saying the TBO will be increased another 200 hrs soon for a new TBO of 1000 hrs.
The HKS is a full 60 hp engine and the performance with the HKS has been on par if not a little better than the 852, cruise is better takeoff roll maybe 100 ft more and climb maybe 100 ft less but I doubt it. Ease of start is much better it is a little smoother running, definetly quieter the alternator is better and the ignition and alternator noise is much much less than the 582, and I can go flying in 85*F + temps, the 582 would red line on coolant at or above those temps.

DesertFox4
11-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Good report GB I'm sure others are considering making the change also. The 582 has served the Kitfox community very well but always room for other viable options. Thanks for sharing the info.

On a side note GB, have you ever put skis on your Fox? I lived in Minnesota 36 years and never once flew in a ski equipped aircraft. Always looked like fun except for the hidden surprises under the snow.:o

Mnflyer
11-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Steve, yes indeed the 582 was / is a good engine in the Kitfox, and I had no problems with mine in 297 hrs. But I didn't like the semi annual carb needle jet adjusting, the high fuel consumption, and the coolant temps being on or near the redline on hot summer days.
On another note I have skis for the plane but have never flown it with skis, 2 years ago we didn't get enough snow for skis and last winter we had a blizzard the 1st week of Dec and it piled 2.5 to 3 ft of snow right in front of the hangars and stayed until the 1st of April, before that we spent a lot of time in winters in AZ.
I have flown on skis and it can be a blast here in MN lots and lots of lakes to check out the biggest thing to what for is hard steep snow banks / drifts skis can be very hard on the landing gear but also can be lots of fun.