PDA

View Full Version : Rotax 912

Eric
01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Hello

I can buy a 12 year old 912 a2 with 413 hrs
Can anybody tell me what are the typical things that I have to look for at this engine,
Are there typical weak points I have to look for/
It is a certified engine.

thanks

Eric hendriks
Netherlands

moosepileit
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty new to this. The forum will point you to being able to check the logbooks versus the Rotax website data for service bulletins and updates.

Valve Spring Retainers, the type of Oil Pump Drive Shaft Pin (should be a solid pin, not a split pressed in hollow pin), Type of Reduction gears- width of the gearsets, just for starters.

I'd check the entire ignition system for proper ohms, still won't ensure they are good- and they are all pricey components.

Carbs would need a teardown. Starter can be ground checked, to a point.

Alternator wires/gaps/stators/magnets- all easy to check off an airframe- but need to be checked.

Do you have the serial number and access to the logbooks?

You won't know what you have w/o disassembly and inspection untiil you run the engine for about 10 hours. Then it's either a good deal or too late.

Gear wear showing up at the magnetic plug, oil filter metal content, etc. That won't show up soon enough.

Is there a Rotax service center nearby? They may charge you for upwards of what- 20 hours of work, but it may or may not be worth it depending on the price vs. any other local suppliers or used aircraft engines.

Eric
01-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Hello
Thank You for your report
I have bought the engine.
It is a certified one with all the logbooks and it has 413 hrs
The engine looked good and the compagnie who serviced the engine said it has no problems.
So I hope I did a good buy