PDA

View Full Version : Firewall pass through suggestions please

kitfoxvixen9095
01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm looking for some input on what you guys have used for your firewall pass through's for wiring, throttle cables, heater hoses, etc. grommets seem like a problem waiting to happen!!

jtpitkin06
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Have a look at these items.

flybymike
01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
We have been using the Hubbell cord connectors (strain relief). They come in a variety of sizes and work very well for firewall penetrations. We have been using them for over 10 years to run control cables and wires through the pressurized firewalls of Lancair aircraft.
We have been using the aluminum ones but they do make them in stainless also.

DanB
01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Here is what they look like installed. I am quite happy with how sturdy they are. For the fat hot wire to the starter they even have a non-cunductive grommet that works well. These guys provide quick service and you can tell them exactly how big of diameter pass-thru you want. http://www.azshowersolutions.com/Engine13.html
Dan

jrevens
10-13-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm curious about where most builders of the newest series of Kitfox are locating the firewall penetration for most of the sensor and other wires coming from the engine and firewall forward. My firewall came with a pre-made hole in the upper left area that I'm not sure I want to use. I'm also considering a nice multi-pin AMP connector for that job. There is another existing hole on the right side that I assume is for the main large wire from the battery/solenoid going to the cockpit.

jiott
10-13-2015, 08:28 PM
John,
I used the pre-made hole in the upper left for the engine generator wires. The pre-made hole in the lower right I used for all the engine sensor, ignition, battery, etc. wires. In fact it was not large enough for all these so I punched another one just above it (I thought that was better than enlarging the one hole).

Dorsal
10-14-2015, 04:54 AM
I used 3, lower left (facing the plane) just below the battery for bat, starter and landing light. One in the mid center for all sensor wires and one upper right for the Rotax bundle (ignition, alt etc.). I used the grommets which show no signs of wear after 5 years.

snowpaw
10-14-2015, 01:58 PM
There's a good article in the latest Kitplanes about aircraft wiring and firewall penetration by Marc Ausman from Vertical Power.

Flybyjim
10-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Do you have a link to this info

Paul Z
10-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Here is how the factory did it on 703KA

Paul Z
10-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Another photo

jrevens
10-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Thanks to all for the replies... I appreciate it very much.