PDA

View Full Version : Painting seat pan...

flypdx
01-08-2011, 10:14 AM
The previous owner of my kit tried to paint the seat pan- without very good results. Its driving me crazy.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday sanding it down and fixing some sloppy cutouts. Now I'm thinking I'd like to go ahead and prime it. Any suggestions on paint?

cap01
01-08-2011, 12:11 PM
jeff , on the fiberglass cowl i used the poly fiber epoxy white primer then poly tone on top of that . its been holding up pretty well . if you dont need the primer for other parts then its pretty expensive for just the seat pan . for my seat pan , i just shot some rattle can krylon paint on the parts that arent covered by the cushions . when some of my higher priority projects are done ill revisit the seat pan . for now it doesnt look bad .

flypdx
01-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks Chuck.

I think I'll just go the "rattle can" route for now. And, like you, re-do it later if need be.

wadeg
01-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Go to "napa" and get some grey self etching primer. Great stuff. My interior is all done with it. Light, easy to do, very tough, non glare, and cleans up well.

flypdx
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM
If only I could track down the elusive NAPA 7220 self etching primer! That's what I have decided to use.

That stuff flies off the shelves though. I went again yesterday and they had already sold out of the shipment they got 2 days earlier.

Must be good stuff! They're gonna hold a can for me out of the next shipment.

cap01
01-09-2011, 06:38 PM
the etching primer will work on the fiberglass ? would think it would be more for metal if it etchs ?

flypdx
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
I wondered about that also. But, when I was looking for paint for fiberglass, many recommended the self etching primers. I looked at the Duplicolor self etching primer I have and it says suitable for fiberglass. So there you have it- go figure.