PDA

View Full Version : Tires - Again

Soarhead
01-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi Guys - Greetings from Ireland!

I would like to replace my perishing original 20 X 7.00-8 slick tires on my Mk 3 Kitfox with the same again or perhaps a straight thread, but not nobbies! Can't see what I'm looking for on tiresunlimited or ATVtires.

I appreciate that this issue has been discussed previously but wonder if anyone has any new info on the topic?

Regards,

J

Woodennickle
01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
You might want to check out Highwingllc they have some tires that might suit your need.

Av8r3400
01-03-2011, 05:40 PM
The Kingfox (or Nanco, Nanking, or any of their other names) are much wider than the original tires (12" versus 7-8").

Unfortunately they seem to be the only "slick" tires available for a 8" diameter rim. I have the "knobbied" tires on my plane and find it very aggravating all the junk that is thrown on the underside of the wings and tail.

Once mine are worn out, I will most likely replace them with the same type again because they are far cheaper and much more readily available.

I may try belt-sanding off the knobs (or most of them) sometime to see how that goes...

Newkid
01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I know Highwing has 1 pair of the 20x7x8 that originally came with the kits, and the Nancos too.

Av8r3400
01-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I'd bet a dollar that the ones Matco (http://www.matcomfg.com/TIRE21X1286PR6PR-idv-2789-38.html) is marketing are the same Kingfox (et al) tires we've seen elsewhere.

akflyerbob
01-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I have several sets of the Kingfox and Nanking tires.
All of the Kingfox tires when mounted went flat in a week.
All of the Nanking tires when mounted are still pressured.
The Kingfox tires all leaked thru the tire plies and slick tread.
If they are the same manuf. then they used something different
Thats my experiance and I quit using the Kingfox tires
Bob

Av8r3400
01-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Interesting, Bob. I would have bet they were all the same manufacturer. I stand corrected, then.

Do you think the leaky tires were knobbies that had the tread removed?

akflyerbob
01-03-2011, 11:01 PM
No, the Kingfox tires were not buffed knobbies as they had the
little threads that new tires have from the mold.
I don't mean that the Kingfox tires are not good for what we use them for
but, in my case I just had to air them up every time I wanted to fly.

Soarhead
01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll see if I can locate these locally now that I know what is available.

Do the 21X12.00-8 tires leave sufficient clearance around the brake assembly?

akflyerbob
01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Soarhead, I think that depends on what wheel you are running
If your using the 8" Douglas with the break disk lug welded
in, then it doesn't affect the breaks at all.

HighWing
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Being low pressure tires, the Nanco tires will leak at the bead if not mounted very cleanly. The slightest contamination, will result in bead leaks. I have them on my wheels, profesionally mounted and are fine. I have had problems in the past with bead leaks, however. The tires I used then had the label Nankang.

The Nanco tires are definitely not six ply.

Soarhead
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I looked - carefully - at my original 20X7.00-8 slick tires again today and notice that they are two ply and not marked with any load rating. I think the brake assembly would be ok with the 21X12-8 but these bigger tires might chaff on the original gear legs of my MK 3 as they are nearly double the width.

Still confused!

J

Av8r3400
01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Soarhead-- There are so many of these tires (tyres? :)) flying on Kitfoxes without report of chafing that I would not think there would be a problem for you.

GDN
01-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Tire noobs question, i have the original 8" ( Pro-trak ) too and i read several owner suffer with leaking ? Perhaps a silly question but are they tubeless ?
Because if we have tubes how can we have a leak ?

Soarhead
01-08-2011, 02:11 PM
The original tires 20X7.00-8 slick were tubeless.

GDN
01-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Ah OK i've got tubeless without knowing it !

As they keep air for a long time i can conclude that i and the previous owner didn't done too much hard landing ...

avidflyer
01-09-2011, 07:38 AM
I've had a set of the Kingfox tires on my Avid, and have had problems with them leaking around the bead if I run less than 10 lbs of pressure in them. I ended up putting tubes in them. Did have a problem with that once also, one tube had the valve stem tear off after landing on pavement. Funny thng is the tire didn't go flat, but when I tried to air it up because it was lower than I wanted it to be, I couldn't. Ended up taking it apart and found the valve stem cut off. Before I put the tubes into the tires, I had tried to run Slime in them to stop the leaks. When the tube slid around, the slime kept it from leaking. I know this may seem hard to believe, if I hadn't seen it my self, I would doubt it if some one told me that it happened to them. As far as the tires hitting the landing gear, here are some pics of my Avid with the Kingfox tires. Plenty of room for the tires and the Kitfox gear are about the same as my Avid gear. Take care,
Jim Chuk
Avid MK IV (flying)
Kitfox 4 (building)
Northern Mn

01-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I have had 21x12x8" tires on my Kitfox IV for years. I have had no issues with fitting around brakes or gear legs. Currently I am getting wheel skis made to fit under these wheels and needed to supply the manufacturer with actual measurements of the tires while on the plane. They measure 19.850x10.250x8".

01-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I will try and load some pic's of 21x12x8 tires on a Kitfox IV. I have only put air in these once since I bought them and that was when they were installed.

Soarhead
01-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all the responses to my initial question. It's been a very informative discussion and I really appreciate your experience and expertise.

Special thanks to 924549 for the excellent photos and dimensions when fitted. I will proceed with the 21X12-8 tires and see if I can locate them on this side of the pond.

Regards,

J

wannafly
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I have the speed fairings on my tube gear and when I tryed to put the 20x12x8 tires on they did rub the fairing. If the fairings were not on, there would not be a problem