PDA

View Full Version : Dual Throttle Levers

jiott
12-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe I am weird, but I much prefer to fly with my left hand on the throttle and the stick in my right hand (like a Cub). Has anyone figured out how to do this on a Kitfox 7 with a Rotax 912s and still have a throttle control available for the co-pilot in the right seat? Some sort of dual throttle control or something?

Jim

HighWing
12-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I think it can be done. I was trying to recall the set-up in the Lancair IV I helped build. It was for the side sticks rather than the throttles, however. They used a mechanical linkage behind the panel that connected right and left side sticks. I think you would need something like the ballcrank in the Model IV behind the panel to create a parallel mechanism that would then feed cables to the carbs. In order to work, both sides would have to be mechanically linked so when sitting in the left seat and operating the throttle, the passenger side throttle would move as well.

Lowell

t j
12-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Why don't you just sit in the right seat.;)

jiott
12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Interesting that you suggest I sit in the right hand seat, because I have already decided that is a very good solution in case nothing else can be done. The main problem as I see it is that I will then need to build the panel with the main instruments flopped over to the right side. This would work OK for me, but I would end up with an odd-ball airplane with reduced resale value. I would much rather come up with something that will allow me to stay in the left seat.

Can I just run two separate throttle cables to the carb lever and attach them together there? Both throttle handles in the cockpit would move together, but thats OK. Or would this have too much friction? I'm hoping someone has already done this sort of thing.

War Eagle
12-30-2010, 06:55 PM
I've seen the Zenith series of airplanes (601, 701 etc) use dual throttles in some of their planes. They have a center stick in some models and the throttle is outboard of each seat.

It maybe possible to get on their user's forum or similar web sites to see pictures and talk to builders to see how their system works and if it can be adapted to the kitfox.

The Zenith also uses multiple engine options which include the Rotax 912 etc.

Good luck.

DanB
12-30-2010, 07:13 PM
The Allegro 2000 also has a center stick with throttle levers to the inside of each door. The Allegro runs the Rotax 912s, so there looks to be at least a couple places to look for parts or how to do it. Keep us informed.

Dorsal
12-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Jim,
FWIW I alo consider doing this as most of my time was built using right hand stick. In the end I built it as designed and use my left hand, the switch was fairly painless and now I don't think twice about it.

GaryNo
12-31-2010, 07:09 PM
HeyJim,I have 600 hrs inRV-4,rv-6,Super Decathelon,and Citabria's.All right stick left thottle.I'm building a supersport and flying it in the right seat.I'm going to use a Dynon Skyview in the right side of the panel.In the left side of the panel I'm going to cut the same size hole as the Skyview and make a storage compartment with door.If I later was to sell the aircraft I would swap skyview and storage compartment.Thottle in center and dual brakes,center inst.panel analog altimeter,airspeed ind.I,m currently renting a Remos GX and I fly it right seat.No problem.The airpark I live at we have a Delta airline pilot(ex USAF pilot) and he flies a RV-7a right seat.If you jump into a boat which side do you drive it from?If you talk to John Mcbean from Kitfox Aircraft ask him what side he flies on.Good luck in your choice.

jiott
01-01-2011, 11:51 AM
GaryNo,
What a great response! I like your idea of flying from the right seat, but making the panel easily convertible. Could you send or post a picture of your panel.

Now my next related question: I also much prefer a throttle quadrant type lever rather than the push-pull type. Does anyone have a suggested brand that would be easy to mount off the bottom center of the panel, or the center consol?

Jim

GaryNo
01-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Hey Jim,I have not started my panel yet so pixs are not available.As for your thottle quadrant you may want to think about the push pull throttle cables from Kitfox A/C.The reason is because of the Rotax dual carb set up.These dual carbs need to be and kept in sync.To find a thottle quadrant for dual carbs may be hard to find.This is my 4th a/c build and if one thing I've learned is when you stray from original design or equipmnt the term "Experimntal" intensifies.The push pull throttle will feel natural probably on your first flight.

DesertFox4
01-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Having the throttle on the counsel has been done. Murle Williams did it 8 years ago on a model 4. He is building a model 6 with the same set up. Seemed to work just fine but was somewhat complicated and the cables did not push the throttles open. They were small cables and relied on the wide open springs to advance the throttles. Location did not really appeal to me either but the owner loved it. The choke was also located just in front of the throttle handle. Quite unique as are many of Murle's gadgets.

RIVERFOX
01-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I routinely switch from left throttle/right stick to left stick right throttle and it doesn't even enter my mind when switching back and forth. After a few hours transition you'll be completely comfortable with flying left stick/right throttle.

1SeventyZ
04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
I found your thread because I was curious if anyone had done dual throttles, but after a little while visualizing myself in the left seat flying right hand on the stick, I realized that I often operate flaps with my throttle hand. "Popping" flaps on short takeoffs, et al.

Perhaps that isn't a SOP for the Kitfox with its flaperons, but I do like to operate flaps while keeping my primary control stick hand...on the stick.

Lion8
04-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Throttle quadrant is what I am going to put in my Kitfox. It will go into the center console.
Try this site for throttle quadrants.- http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php
As far as the 912 with dual carbs, I fly a Trike with dual carbs and one cable at the throttle. There is a splitter half way between the throttle and the carbs. Kind of simple set up. The Carbs are sync'ed perfectly. Hope this helps-Tom

jiott
04-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I was originally thinking of putting a throttle quadrant in the center console of my SS7, but after visiting the factory and looking at one being built I became very apparent that there is no room in the standard center console for a quadrant. Possibly with extensive remodeling of the console you could get one in there. I am curious how you are going to do it? Please post pictures when you can.

Jim

t j
04-22-2011, 06:52 AM
I found your thread because I was curious if anyone had done dual throttles, but after a little while visualizing myself in the left seat flying right hand on the stick, I realized that I often operate flaps with my throttle hand. "Popping" flaps on short takeoffs, et al.

Perhaps that isn't a SOP for the Kitfox with its flaperons, but I do like to operate flaps while keeping my primary control stick hand...on the stick.

1SeventyZ,
As far as "Popping" flaps on take off. Flapperons are more to create lift. They don't create a lot of drag like conventional flaps do. It is more common to set the "Flaps" a little before the takeoff run starts.

BigJohn
05-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Jim

I had previously flown a Super Cub along with several other's for hundreds of hours all were right hand stick left hand throttle and I first jumped in the right seat although the gauges were mostly on the left side being more comfortable with left throttle and right stick. Once I transitioned to the left seat and spent time with a dozen or so takeoff's and landings i found that I transitioned easly and fast, It also allowed me more control with a free right hand for the flapperons and trim and I find on short landing and takeoff that I am either popping on the Flapperons to get off short or dumping them when I need to really set it in short, that free right hand is just the ticket. Try the left seat and I think you will see just how fast you transition and how that right hand for flapperons and trim is more convenient.

mr bill
11-16-2011, 10:53 PM
When flying any Cessna or side by side Piper from the left seat, it is left hand on the wheel and right hand throttle. Most of us learned to fly that way.

jrthomas
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
I had flown for years with the throttle on my left and the stick in my right hand. My 1st time flying the Kitfox from the left seat felt strange but after just a few minutes I began to feel comfortable and after a few flights it was completely normal. I've flown again with the left throttle and right stick in a Cub and transitioning back and forth is no problem. Learning to fly a Kitfox taildragger well was a challenge but learning to use the stick with my left was the easiest thing to overcome. James Thomas