PDA

View Full Version : UL Power 260i & is engines

kitfox5-14WY
12-28-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm new to the forum, but I have to say finally an engine that is simple light weight and any A&P can work on these engines. 157 lbs. + or - , fuel injection, direct drive nothing fancy. light weight conversion of the continental or lycoming. A bit less money than the Rotax with out a gear box and other accessories that add to the price. Don't get me wrong Rotax 912 is a good fit for Kitfox flyers. But maybe UL POWER has a place in the flying world here in the US. I'm really considering the 260is for my model 5.
Anybody have a comment on this thought good or bad.
I wonder if John McBean has looked into this engine, what his thoughts are.

Larry

RobS
12-28-2010, 09:34 AM
I do not own a Kitfox, nor do I have any firsthand knowledge of how a ULPower engine will perform when bolted to a Kitfox. However, the manufacturer's numbers for these engines are impressive and I believe these power plants should be considered as a possible option.

There is some discussion regarding the specifications of the UL350i in the following post:

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1462

fly3g
12-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I have been investigating this engine as a possible future replacement candidate if/when my 912UL in my model 4 gets worn out. Rotax is a great motor but they seem a little too proud ($$$$) of it. Always like to see alternates. There is a gentleman reporting on his ongoing experience of installing a 350i in a Highlander that may be kind of relevant:
http://wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18388#23177
In summary he has been flying it about 20+ hours or so and is trying to dial in the prop. Has had good factory support working through some issues.

Would be interested if anyone has links to any other reports of actual user experience with the engine.

Mnflyer
12-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Great information on the UL engine looks like this could be a great engine I'm glad to see so reports on it in a flying plane. I've been watching this engine for some time.

dholly
12-29-2010, 10:27 AM
A fellow Avid owner acquaintance was the first US purchaser of the UL260i 4-stroke back in 2007. He was a deliberate, careful builder and didn't expect to be finished for a couple more years at that time. I missed him at OSH in '09 and opted out of the 'Great Flood of 2010' so I don't know if he has it up and flying yet. I'll try to get an update.

scottr
01-08-2011, 09:00 AM
I am considering the UL engine option also. They seem to have a simple (direct drive) yet solid engine for the money. Yet they do have some advanced features that Rotax does not have. Hopefully John at Kitfox is considering them and will be making a install kit available.