PDA

View Full Version : Change in certification possible?

afsbz
10-27-2008, 02:05 PM
If a Kitfox IV with Roax 912 engine was originally certified with an in flight adjustable prop and has since had the prop changed to a ground adjustable prop, can the airplane be recertified for the light sport category?

RandyL
10-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Don't confuse the certification of the airplane with what pilot priveledges you might be flying under. In other words, as long as your aircraft meets the Light Sport parameters it doesn't matter what type of airworthiness certificate it has. Usually the deal breaker for a Kitfox to be flown by a Sport Pilot is the gross weight, more technically called the MTOW (maximum takeoff weight). So, if you get rid of your in-flight adjustable prop, and the the plane meets all other parameters, then you're good to operate it as a Sport Pilot. Further into out on this reference page (http://www.teamkitfox.com/LSAinfo/lsainfo.html).

I know one thing that those with in-flight adjustable props are considering is simply moving the prop control to the FWF area. That way it is not "in-flight adjustable". I'm pretty sure this has never withstood a legal challenge yet though. Still, changing props is not that big a deal if flying under Sport Pilot priveledges is important.

vetdrem
10-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Randy, I don't think that you are right about being able to change the prop and making it "fit" the definition.

The definition of a light sport aircraft states "

Light-sport aircraft

means an aircraft,
other than a helicopter or powered-lift
that, since its original certification, has
continued to meet the following:

(1.......

(7) A fixed or ground-adjustable
propeller if a powered aircraft other
than a powered glider.

The "since its original certification" part puts a wrench in the works to be completely "legal".

Louie

RandyL
10-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Hmm, where'd you find that? Also, how would anyone know what prop was on the plane originally? The gross weight would be part of the W&B documentation submitted to the DAR or inspector and kept on file at the FSDO they worked out of. I can't think of anywhere the specific prop installed at time of certification is specified.

Still, if that language is from the applicable FAR then that does put a wrench in the works.

vetdrem
10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
It is from the FAR, and it has had a large effect on many people (me included). But, I agree with you completely, and I say "fly it".

Louie

84KF
10-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Oh jeeze....,

Regarding "original certification..." go back a bit and read http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=21

Mr McBean has previously stated: "The IVO electric adjust can still be LSA compliant.. It just cannot be adjustable In-Flight."
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=12&highlight=prop

As far as changing the Airworthiness cert....

ยง 21.190 Issue of a special airworthiness certificate for a light-sport category aircraft.
(a) Purpose. The FAA issues a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category to operate a light-sport aircraft, other than a gyroplane.

(b) Eligibility. To be eligible for a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category:

(2) The aircraft must not have been previously issued a standard, primary, restricted, limited, or provisional airworthiness certificate, or an equivalent airworthiness certificate issued by a foreign civil aviation authority.