PDA

View Full Version : Stall Warning Devices.

djmc4344
11-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Been thinking about putting some sort of stall warning device on my model IV. Acs has one called the ACI. Anybody have any opinion on this device or any others? I kinada miss the horn blaring away on the landing flare in the old 152 and 172's.

Thanks

Dorsal
11-28-2010, 04:35 PM
I really like the AOA indicator and warning on my Dynon, it give progressive information as you approach stall. Probably not much help if you don't have a Dynon to begin with.

Agfoxflyer
11-28-2010, 05:26 PM
I used the Lift reserve indicator when I was flying my 5. My brother and I have the digital verion in the RV-9A. It is a bit pricey but good. When I was flying the kitfox I paid attention to the needle on base to final turn. You lose a lot of lift in that condition. No wonder there is so many accidents. The digital version has a beeper at stall. The LRI is far left in the First picture and the digital above the efis on the second picture.

Dave S
11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Just an opinion - an accurate, progressive, angle of attack indicator gives the most direct indication of what is going on if a person is relying on an instrument's feedback.

Another opinion - A stall horn like what we have on the Cessnas tells us something - but they can be different from plane to plane. A stall horn that goes off too soon is just plain annoying and doesn't help that much. :confused:

Stick and rudder skills, practiced well and often are what a person needs to do whether guided by an instrument or not. Another excuse to fly......

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
No stall horn, no AOAI

Dorsal
11-28-2010, 08:08 PM
There is certainly no substitute for knowing your plane and under normal circumstance that should be enough. The audible warning gives me some comfort that if something highly distracting is going on, (why isn't my engine running, why is there smoke in the cockpit, why are those cheerleaders sunbathing topples down there) I will still be warned of an impending stall.

Dorsal
11-30-2010, 01:11 PM
"No matter WHAT is going on always always always FLY THE AIRPLANE!!"

Certainly won't argue with that, those are words to live by, literally.

djmc4344
11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Here's another lift reserve device I found. Price is reasonable too. Oh yea, I do plan to do alot of practicing but I would still like to have a warning device.

Here's the link

http://sites.google.com/site/lrikit/

Thanks for all the advice and opionions. Going to practice tommorrow if the weather cooperates.

Dorsal
11-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Nice price though I don't see an option for audible alarm?

Agfoxflyer
11-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Dan, that's identical to the one I had. Works great but no alarm on the analog version.

MotReklaw
11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
John Bolding, on the Zenith Matronics list sells a nylon probe for less than $50, last I heard it was about 35.00. He lives down in southern Texas, supplies fuselage for the Double Eagle, etc.... You can buy the gauge from a scientific supply house for $10.00 or less. I paid $4.57 for mine....and make your own mounting device out of some "L" material, buy some plastic tubing at Lowes or Home Depot. That's what I did for my first 701. I had less than 60 bucks invested.

But, in the 701 you don't need it. Not sure yet about the KF7.

Tommy Walker in Alabama
N7462M
N8701
N8701T
N5HU (reserved for KF7).....

(hope I'm not coming across as a 'know it all.')