PDA

View Full Version : Lyc. O-233

johrich
11-20-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm new to the forum but I intend on building a kitfox 7 so I thought I should study up on what's going on with this plane since I've never been around one. I did build an Avid Magnum and it was much easier than the GlaStar that I completed a few yrs later. I got out of experimental planes about 4 yrs. ago and am now ready to sell my Comanche and build a kitfox. So, here is what I need to know- I loved my Magnum. The power was great but kitfox doesn't have the capabilities to produce a "Magnum version" yet. I have always chosen Lycoming for my power plants and stayed away from the alternate engine manufacturers- except when I owned a bagwing- and now I'm concerned with the most hp I can get to build the best STOL kitfox around. I have never been crazy about turbo charging a plane like this. So the 914 is out. The Lyc O-233 is out and an IO-233 is soon to follow. But Piper's newest Light Sport is using an S912. This makes you step back and think- if Piper chose the S912 over the new O-233 then there seems to be something going on behind the scene. You can't go wrong with a Lyc. though. They are pretty much bullet proof. But all-in-all I would just like to talk to the guys that have been there and done that so I can make a rational decision of what engine to choose. Next will be the prop question. But I can wait for that discussion- It's even a more difficult decision.

desertfox1
11-20-2010, 08:26 AM
There should be a lot of discussion on this thread. I have over
2000 hours in 912 powered Kitfox's, and am very happy with that
combination. But I have flown with O235 powered Fox's and been
impressed with there performance as well. I think the key is to
keep the Lyc and Continental powered planes light. Great STOL
at empty weights in the 800-850 range. It looks as though the
O233 will be a good fit in the SS.
As to the Piper Sport, they opted to not design and build a plane
but to just buy something and put Piper stickers on it. Not many
Lycoming powered LSA's from Eastern Europe.

jtpitkin06
11-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Johrich,

Your post doesn’t really ask a question. It’s a bunch of comments bouncing all over the map. So let’s try to make some sense of it.

If you want the best performing Kitfox on the planet just for bragging rights, that’s one thing. If you are looking for a well performing aircraft with a dependable engine, that’s another.

What’s important is for YOU to figure out what you are trying to accomplish.

Loyalties aside, all of the current manufactured engines are dependable and pretty much bullet proof. If they weren’t, the manufacturers would be out of business in short order. And don’t automatically pooh pooh conversion engines. Some have been flying dependably for over 40 years. Your choice of engine may be based on emotion, logic, gross weight, lowest cost, fan club membership or brute horsepower.

Don’t always assume a bigger engine equates to better performance. Don’t be surprised if a lightweight lowly 2 stroke Model III Kitfox outperforms your brute powered S7.

The Kitfox has great performance right out of the box. The Rotax 912 is a good match and there arehundreds of them flying. Kitfox offers a firewall forward kit for the Rotax making installation a snap.

The S7 aircraft takes off and lands in 290 feet. The Classic IV in 250 feet. If you absolutely need an airplane that uses less than 250 feet then you may have a more difficult time. That’s something you need to ask yourself while standing in front of a mirror.

One last fly in the ointment… Be aware that hanging a heavier engine (Lycoming or Continental) on the Kitfox S7 requires the builder to use forward sweep on the wings. The forward sweep reduces the available CG range. Depending on your mission that may be a price you don't want to pay if you need the baggage capability.

There are lots of builders and flyers on this forum. I’m sure all are happy to share their experience. I suggest you make a list of priorities and then see how the Kitfox fits. Then ask specific questions on topics you are unsure about. There are enough Kitfoxes of different versions flying with a variety of engines that you can pretty much assume it’s been done before.

John Pitkin
Greenville, Texas

johrich
11-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Yea, I'm somewhat confused about my choice of power plant to use. It was simple in the past- O320 or O360. Now there are lot of options and I'm just not experienced enough with all the engines available. I'm an old Lycoming believer and stepping out of the circle is hard to do. So I'm collecting information from you guys. Thanks for your opinions- keep em coming.