PDA

View Full Version : 0-200 for KF4

Craig Howard
10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Can anyone tell me if there has been a cont 0200 installed in a kitfox 4 1200? I am planning on putting one in a kf4 and any help would be appreciated. Thanks Craig

Mnflyer
10-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I've thought about a C-85 but think its a bit too heavy for a model 4 kitfox. I would guess one would have to move the battery back to the tail, for CG range. But guys have installed Subaru engines and they have to be about as much wt as a 0-200, fabricating an engine mt and cowl would be the biggest job.

Hi Craig, well 0-200 its a very good engine its the engine I have in the Champ. They do burn about 5.5 gph could be less in a Kitfox being its a lighter plane, they start good in all temps and just run and run.
The biggest thing would be fabricating and engine mount and cowling both are very do able.
Go for it.

RandyL
10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
I did a thumbnail study when deciding to build a Kitfox and came up with the fact that the 912S has the best power-to-weight ration of any normally available power plant. Interesting factoid, especially in light of the fact it has liquid cooling, normally something that kills PTW ratio.

paulc
10-26-2008, 02:06 AM
Craig was just wondering what weight you had researched on the O-200 including charging and starting system? +25lbs sounds off the mark.

You could have that plane back to its glory days for under 14K. I flew that same plane with the radial every day at Oshkosh 2002, with Brian and it was fantastic. Thats was what sold me on the Kitfox period. We were getting 1800'/min, and vne at 3/4 throttle @5.5gph with 76"x50"P Culver prop. take off RPM 3400 cruise 3000 (geared engine 3:2) Turned heads where ever we went. You should have got the engine mount and oil tank for it?

Back in late 2001 when Brian got his radial it was about the 50th engine to leave the factory. Rotec have since released over 400.

paulc
10-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Folks here is a pic of where Brian (the previous owner) had located the battery on the "Blue" kitfox4 purchased by Craig. As can be clearly seen the battery is not all that aft of the CofG. This mainly because the aircraft was already finished and flying on a 582 prior to it being re-engine with the Rotec. If you were installing Rotec engine to an uncovered airframe you would mount the battery further aft and avoid any ballast at all.

Also for those interested in the weight of an O-200 the installed weight is 251 lbs. Dry weight is 179lbs but that includes no starter, generator, exhaust, carb, mags, oil, air ducts, fuel pump or oil cooler! Can’t see much flying done at 179lbs?

The Rotec R2800 in any config comes in a lot lighter that 251 lbs. Subaru too.