PDA

View Full Version : Cowling Clearance

Dick B in KY
10-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Can anyone give the approximate measurement the cowling sits behind the prop shaft flange on your airplane. Wanting to get some idea of what is 'normal' distance.

Thanks,
Dick B

Dave S
10-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Dick,

Depends on your engine/prop/cowl choice. I have attached some photos to give an idea what it looks like - however, you will see that the engine flange is not quite 2 inches behind the front of the cowl - this one has a 2" prop extension - then the plate for the spinner - then the prop hub. I went fro 3/8 of an inch between the cowl and spinner

Sincerely,

Dave S

megawatt
11-24-2010, 10:44 PM
I just saw your post. I was wondering if you got a reply. I am trying to find out what the measurements of the current Kitfox cowl for O235 engines are. I am installing a Corvair. I need to know the side to side and front to back dimensions up to where the cowl narrows. I would like to purchase a factory cowl from Kitfox but I am not sure how it will fit lengthwise. I don't want to move my engine too far forward for CG and I also don't want to add a prop hub extension to keep down the gyro forces. Thank You, Dave in Ohio.