PDA

View Full Version : What's the reason for covering the butt ribs?

jonbakerok
10-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've been working on covering the butt ribs for the last couple of evenings and I'm starting to wonder -- is this trip really necessary?

Is there a functional reason for covering the butt ribs or is it just for looks? Does it keep out the wind or something? Besides being a pain in the a$$ to cover, the idea of peering though a plastic window to try to read a couple of sight gauges that are probably going to be kind of hard to read anyway, really bugs me.

cap01
10-27-2010, 09:13 AM
ive wondered the same thing , although mine were already covered when i acquired the kit . now im replacing gas tanks and installing plastic windows so i can peer at the sight guages ? from some of the pictures ive seen from the newer models they dont cover them but have a different way to finish them off .

Newkid
10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
None of the kitfoxes my family has owned over the years have had the but ribs covered. it probably makes the cockpit just a tad less drafty and little more finished.

Peteohms
10-27-2010, 11:54 AM
To cover up the butt rib crack!

I couldnt help myself.

Dave S
10-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Jon,

See attached photo - no buttrib covering onN128DD - just made some aluminum parts to cover the front and back core hole in the first wing rib and used a plexi sheet for the center over the site gauge. Then fabricated some aluminum to fit outboard and on the bottom of the buttrib to close off the pneumonia hole.

I rather like being able to see the sight gauges. Also no BR covering makes the door hinge bolts easily accessible.

Take a look at the cockpit video shot on John's web Site - no buttrib covering either.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 trigear

Dorsal
10-27-2010, 03:04 PM
No butt rib cover on mine, haven't noticed any issues