PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get stainless prop tape

shortfielder
10-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I did a quick search and didn't see it. I called Murle the other day and he said he likes and uses IVO stainless prop tape, Where can I get this?
Thanks Gary

Av8r3400
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Try a call to IVO to see who is a distributor for them in your area.

kitfox2009
10-25-2010, 07:00 PM
I would suggest calling Ron at IVO Propellers. I would also like to comment on the super customer service I received at IVO. I recently purchased an IVO IFA for my Vixen and when it arrived there was a slight dent in the spinner. I advised Ron and also mentioned that the brushes seemed to be wearing quite rapidly. He suggested the first set wears faster until the hub "carbons up'.
Just today I received a replacement spinner and 2 sets of brushes-- All at no charge with mail directly to Canada. Now that is what I call customer service. I think in this day and age service like that should be rewarded. I hope I am not out of line by mentioning it here.
Cheers
Don (New IVO supporter).

akflyer
10-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I know you can get it from CPS (California Power Systems). DO NOT order the bulk tape they have on the roll as it is NOT SS tape, but Aluminum tape you can buy at the local hardware store. They do have the IVO SS tape though.

I have found it by the roll at JC Whitney also.

Bob Brocious
10-06-2016, 10:24 AM
I have also had excellent service from Ron at IVO. I hassled the devil out of him about replacing some broken prop bolts when I bought my Speedster. He was very patient and looked over all my closeup photos. He quickly sent me new bolts and washers.

Slyfox
10-06-2016, 12:01 PM
this is what I did many years ago. I took the stainless tape and threw it as far as I could, into the garbage really. I went to powerfin and purchased their polyurethane tape they put on their props. have hundreds of hours with this stuff, great stuff. look them up and buy it. I now have the medium IVO prop and put this tape on back when I bought it, still looks like I just put it on. works great. have over 400hrs on it.

jrevens
10-06-2016, 04:11 PM
this is what I did many years ago. I took the stainless tape and threw it as far as I could, into the garbage really...

I love that stuff too, Steve. I started using it in 1993 on my wood prop. No one I knew seemed to know about it or use it for that purpose at the time. So for 23 years I've had it on the leading edge of my props. I've found it to conform very nicely to straight or curved leading edges when installed properly, and I've been able to remove it with the use of a heat gun, without harming the finish. I specifically use 3M 8672, 1" wide. I believe it's .008" thick. 1 roll gave me a lifetime supply for several propellers. I've used it for a few other things too... it's tough stuff.

av8rps
10-11-2016, 07:02 PM
For the record, as long as you are not operating as a seaplane you can use the 3m / clear poly tape on your props leading edge.

But you most definitely need stainless tape if you fly off water. I attempted one water flight without stainless tape and essentially destroyed 3 blades in 10 minutes, all caused by water erosion.

jrevens
10-11-2016, 09:56 PM
For the record, as long as you are not operating as a seaplane you can use the 3m / clear poly tape on your props leading edge.

But you most definitely need stainless tape if you fly off water...

Did you attempt it with that specific plastic tape on you prop? I don't doubt your statement, but I have found the tape to be very good in rain. I'm sure there's a big difference between rain and treating your prop like it was a boat propeller. :confused:

Slyfox
10-12-2016, 06:15 AM
I agree. Also I would like to add, my tape is black.

Dusty
10-12-2016, 12:12 PM
On a recent trip a group of us ended up flying for around 3 hours in rain that was at times very heavy.An ivo with stainless tape needed the tape removed as it went lumpy and had splits in it,my ivo with clear tape is ok but appears to be lifting on the outer leading edge,the rest is perfect.A GSC without tape didn't get any damage,and a local prop without tape but an epoxy leading edge looks and feels like sandpaper on its edge. The GSC was a surprise!
What thickness tape is the best?i see spruce lists two thicknesses,would the difference in thickness be noticeable in prop efficiency

jrevens
10-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Hi Dusty,
What I have used is .008". It is possible to affect the efficiency, and the thinner the better from that standpoint. One guy I talked to claimed he lost a little static RPM after installation. I have carefully compared before/after operation and haven't seen any real difference in that respect. It has stopped a tremendous amount of damage to my leading edges over the years, based on the gouges & nicks it has sustained, with usually no underlying damage. A couple of tips on installation - Carefully measure and cut equal lengths for the blades before installation. Very slightly radius the cut corners. Fill any nicks & carefully clean & de-grease the prop surface. Use disposable rubber gloves to avoid any skin oil or other contaminants when handling the tape. Start at the tip, tape carefully centered, working towards the hub. If the leading edge has curvature, a slight amount of tension/stretching will make it conform perfectly to the surface. as you approach the last few inches, back off on the tension. You only need to apply the tape on the outer approximate 2/3's of the blade length. I've found 1" wide tape to be adequate for my propellers. As the tape takes the nicks and abuse over time and you want to replace it, I've found it relatively easy to slowly remove with a heat gun, without damaging the prop finish. I've honestly never had to replace it because it was starting to peel off or anything like that, but I've been very careful with cleanliness and installation. This has been my experience with the tape for approximately 25 years.

Dusty
10-13-2016, 02:08 AM
Thanks John I will order the .008 tomorrow.when I replace it I will try to do some static tests.mine is ok? But may be starting to move. I may have lost a little bit of performance,it may be interesting

av8rps
10-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Did you attempt it with that specific plastic tape on you prop? I don't doubt your statement, but I have found the tape to be very good in rain...

I used 3m body protection tape. Stuff is tough as hell, but water spray is tougher.

Fwiw, even seaplanes with metal props suffer from water erosion. You can pretty easily destroy a nice (and expensive) Hartzell blade in a short time by just plowing around in the water at mid rpm ranges. The erosion is so bad it can literally make pinholes in the leading edge of the blade. Many have tried leading edge plastic tape on those too, but much like my experience they learn the water spray through the prop will disintegrate the plastic.

Flying through rain is apparently a minor concern compared to seaplane water spray. But believe me, I would love to find a alternative to the stainless tape I have to keep replacing on my IVO. I love my IVO IFA, but I absolutely hate having to constantly replace the stainless tape due to cracking, lifting, etc.

However, if I weren't flying floats I would most definitely use the plastic tape.

avidflyer
10-20-2016, 09:00 PM
I was just looking on the IVO site tonight, and I see they have a riveted on stainless steel leading edge protection for their air boat propellers. You might give them a call and ask them about that for your prop. JimChuk

av8rps
10-23-2016, 07:11 AM
Thanks for that info. But I suspect the longer blade we use on aircraft allows the prop to flex too much to allow a rigid riveted on protection. But I'm gonna give them a call for sure!