PDA

View Full Version : Windshield defroster?

Dave S
10-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Question,

What have folks done to get some warm air/moving air on the windshield to keep the moisture/fog/frost off after initial start up in cool weather? I am not a big fan of leaving the door open when it is around zero F.

I have the 912 with the liquid cabin heater.

Last winter I found that the windshield would eventually clear once the cabin warmed up (5-7 minutes and usually a while after takeoff) but it would be real nice to have a totally clear windshield right away.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp
(Liquid heater)

cap01
10-25-2010, 03:31 PM
i cut a hole in the glareshield infront of the pilots side and mounted a 2 or 3in fan under it that blows up on the windsheild . the fan sucks whatever heat is up infront of the inst panel . i wired it with the heater fan so it blows any time the heater fan is on . seemed to work well last winter , didnt have any issues of moisture on the inside of the windshield . it must have used all the heat on the windshield because i sure got cold . i didnt cut one large hole but rather several smaller ones . its a crappy picture , but you can barely see it just forward of the n4okf on the inst panel .

Av8r3400
10-25-2010, 05:58 PM
I didn't have any issues with fogging all of last winter...

I have no "defrosting" setup.

Peteohms
10-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I made an engine preheater out of an old small electric heater I got at a Goodwill store. I run a piece of flexable aluminum pipe into the engine compartment for an hour or two before flight ( I use a timer to turn it on). When I arrive at the hangar, I can run the heater pipe into the cabin while I preflight the plane.

akflyer
10-27-2010, 09:23 AM
I have a small computer fan on each side of the glare shield. The original builder had installed them so I left them in. They have proven to be very useful to me! Basically to mount them, he cut slots on the fiberglass shield, then he glued the fans to a piece of ~ 1/8" thick neoprene rubber. This was then glued to the fiberglass. It allows the fans to be soft mounted and hang down just a touch so the blades dont hit the fibergalss as well as seals up around the curved mounting surface so all air has to go through the slots. I will see if I can dig up a picture later of the install.

akflyer
11-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Here you go.