PDA

View Full Version : Windshield fitting

Spook712
09-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey, can anyone tell me what kind of tape i can use between the ribs and the winscreen when mounting it on?
There was some old stuff glued on, lookes like rubber of some sort.

I have no clue what to use, it's a singlepiece lexan canopy.

Thanx

GDN
09-30-2010, 12:07 PM
i'm gonna change my windshield too.
I'm interested in all ideas about that change.

To have a good fitting will i start from the rear flat part behind our head and finish to the part near firewall ?

I bought a 2 mm part of Lexan is it ok or a 1,5 mm should have been enough ?

Best regards

catz631
10-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Watch out for stressed Lexan and gasoline. There are two Rans S-6 aircraft in my area and they both have shattered /very severly crazed windshields where gas spilled onto the curved portions of the windscreen where it meets the wing root at the windshield top(flat Lexan was bent,not formed) It happened immediately when the gas hit it during fuel tank filling and windy conditions. Most amazing thing I have seen. I didn't know gas would do that !
One guy told me that it was the second windshield he has replaced (now will be a third)
Dick

Av8r3400
10-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Another reason I like my molded plexi stuff...

DanB
10-01-2010, 07:10 AM
GDN,
I am sorry that no one has attempted to answer your question. You would think after 165 people have looked at this thread, someone with this experience would step up and give you a little help...After all it is a simple
practical question that those who have gone b-4 would know the answer to. I guess folks are just too busy to help a brother out.
I have not attached my windshield yet, but I have been told it's a good idea to start at the front. It makes sence to me that you would want a nice tight fit up under the top cowling, then work your way back from there. Perhaps if someone with the know-how could confirm this or suggest how, it would be appreciated I'm sure.

avidflyer
10-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Here is my take on installing the windshield, haveing done at least 4 on Avids, and 1 on my Kitfox 4. I fastened the top on first of all. That way it is fixed in place and you can pull the front down and wrap the sides around much easier. If you are replacing an existing one, use the old one for the pattern, drill out all the holes, ect with the new and old clamped togeather. As far as the foam between the ribs and lexan, I had a roll of foam that came with a preformed plexiglass windshield (that broke way to easy while being installed) that I used on my Kitfox, but I've also not used any on the Avid. At any rate, if you can find some 3/4" wide by 1/8" or 1/16" thick with a sticky side to it, that should work fine as well. Take care, Jim Chuk

DanB
10-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Spook,
What you are describing sounds like a butyl tape. I have used this tape many times as a glazier with glass. I am guessing it would work with the plastics, however I'm not sure if there are any chemical reactions between teh two. Anyone else have the right stuff?

HighWing
10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
If you are asking what to use between the windshield and the center rib, I used white foam weather stripping. It had an adhesive side and the other side had sort of a saw tooth pattern longitudinally - two strips side by side 1/2" wide. Betweem the false ribs and lexan, I used nothing. This was on a Model IV.

Lowell

Av8r3400
10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Please don't use butyl tape. I own an autoglass shop and can attest to you that this would be a very bad idea.

Dick B in KY
10-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I am no expert on this, but this is what I did on my SS 7. Mine is a new build, so may be a little different. Preformed Lexan windshield, started at the front at actual install (no cowling installed). Used 3M window chaulk strips on door posts channels (installed first) and butt rib cap strips (installed second)and aft support (installed last), this stuff does not harden and will form to the mating surfaces as pressure is applied. Seals and holds tight and clean up of excess with mineral spirits on a rag (easy on amount put on the Lexan). Hope this helps some.

Dick B

Lion8
10-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Don't know if this is will be of any help but I used to buy rolls of black windshield pitch for installing windshields. This stuff is very tacky and stays flexible. If you were to use this, I would put waxed paper over it until the glass is in place then pull a little waxed paper out one small section at a time. You can buy this at an autobody supply store.

Av8r3400
10-02-2010, 05:48 PM
That stuff (pitch) is called butyl tape and the UV light will destroy it and your glass will fall out.

(I'm in the autoglass business.)

Dave S
10-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Marc,

My suggestion would be to contact John @ Kitfox

My kit (S7) was purchased prior to the current ownership of Kitfox; and, while it did include a roll of "sealing tape" - there was no description of what kind of material this was. The "Sealing tape" was sticky on one side only, about 1/16" thick an inck wide and sort of a black foam stuff. The instructions included in the manual stated to use the sealing tape by sticking it to capstrips on the buttribs, on the inside of the door frame angles and on top of the angle above the rear carry through tube.

Don't know how much in common the S7 has with your Kitfox on this issue; however, John is the expert on what works and I am sure he can help you.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Spook712
10-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Hey Dave,

yes I guess that would be the best thing to do.

Problem is I'm located in Germany and have a hard time in getting airplane stuff, only via spruce and that is due to taxes and stuff expensive and takes forever :-(

Thanx a lot

Marc

GDN
11-13-2010, 02:26 AM
I'd removed my old windshield yesterday, cut the new one and drilled all the holes for rivets using the old one.
Tomorrow will fix the new one hope will be OK

Spook712
11-13-2010, 04:12 AM
Hey.

Mine is fitted now, I used lexan and it worked out pretty good.

Since I had to take the measurings from the preformed one it dit not fit as nicely but it will work I guess.

Next time around will be much easier.

Cheers from Germany

GDN
11-13-2010, 07:00 AM
i bent my old one after putting it under heavy things in a hot room. And after was easy to cut at the good length.

Best regards from Dijon and was born in Strasbourg so no so far from Germany

GDN
11-14-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm happy, the new one had been fitted without any problem.
I started from the rear part. As i haven't Clecos, i inserted each rivet without tightening them to be sure that each hole was at the good place. As all was ok, i started to fix it definitely from the rear to the front. Apart the front part that is bent more then the roof and has bigger rivet all was very easy.
I seem to have a new aircraft ! It's sure that the new one make the difference in front of the 18 years old one blurred from the gazoline and with lots of cracks.