PDA

View Full Version : Stored 582

Foxer
09-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Howdy folks,
A friend has a Rotax 582 that was fogged, wrapped (w/cilica jell packets) and stored for over 6 years. Less than 60 hours on it.
Is it legal to use it ? Or does it need to be taken apart and checked for corrosion/overhauled before it can be used ?
Is it worthless the way it is ?
Wondering.
RF
:)

Av8r_Sed
09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
RF,

It sounds like care was taken to preserve it, but six years is a long time and wrapped is not the same as sealed. Prudence would indicate a tear-down and inspection are in order. The needle bearings need to be checked and the crank inspected.

The value is not high at this point, but bringing it up to airworthy condition will cost less than a new engine.

-- Paul S

Foxer
09-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Paul,
Thanks for your input.
You pretty well confirmed what I was assuming.
Now I am curious....
When a tech tears the motor down for internal inspection for rust or corrosion, what do you suppose the procedure would be to inspect the con rod large end needles and bearing surfaces adequately without separating the crank (which as I understand would scrap it for aircraft use) ?
Is the inspection of the needles and surfaces done through the little slot in the bottom of the con rod ?

Who would you folks recommend in the east US to do this. I see a few on the web, any history or stories would help.

Av8r3400
09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Who would you folks recommend in the east US to do this.

Lockwood (http://www.lockwood-aviation.com/) in Florida or LEAF (http://www.leadingedge-airfoils.com/) in Wisconsin.

Av8r_Sed
10-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm certainly no mechanic and haven't torn mine down. I took my 20 yr old gray head 582 to L.E.A.F. about a year ago to be brought up to airworthy status. Mine needed a new crank and a few other mods.

I worked with Brett at L.E.A.F. and he was very good about answering questions before and during the overhaul. He also offered continuing support as needed.

Perhaps other listers have first hand knowledge of what's involved in the condition inspections.

-- Paul S

Foxer
10-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Good stuff to know....thanks.
Was looking at Lockwood the other day. Now, all I get is a Yahoo error and cant get to the site. Never saw this before, can any of you get through ? Is it something on my end.....or theirs, I wonder.
My friend and I will discuss the motor situation over the weekend, then I'll post back.
Thanks again,
RF

DanB
10-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Foxer, I'm having the same trouble with the Lockwood site as well.

Foxer
10-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the verification Dan.
Finally straightened out, I can get in now. Sat AM
RF

Spoke a bit too soon.
Can only get to about half of the pages.
Maybe it will get better later.
:cool:

Foxer
10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
OK...closer inspection reveals that it's actually a 532.
I was told it was a gray head 582 (90).
Dual carbs, single ignition, electric start, B box.....I think.

Does anyone still use these ?
Are they worth the teardown/crank replacement ?

TIA !

Mnflyer
10-07-2010, 08:41 PM
OK...closer inspection reveals that it's actually a 532.
I was told it was a gray head 582 (90).
Dual carbs, single ignition, electric start, B box.....I think.

Does anyone still use these ?
Are they worth the teardown/crank replacement ?

TIA !
NO don't even think about it.