PDA

View Full Version : Firewall, Motor mounts dimensions

Lion8
09-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I just purchased a Jabiru 2200 to mount on the front of my Mod IV. Are there any templates, drawings of dimensions available for the five point bolt pattern for the firewall side of the model IV's? I just want to verify the dimensions are accurate. Thanks in advance.

jtpitkin06
09-25-2010, 09:01 PM
You can call John and Debra. They have firewall layout and drilling templates as part of the firewall forward kits. However, the one I have for the SS7 does not have any dimensions so it’s not much help for making a motor mount. I would be surprised if the IV templates had dimensions.

If building a motor mount the only dimensions for bolt hole locations I trust are the ones I take directly off the airframe. Measure side to side, up and down, and then measure the diagonals. There are small variances in production that can cause things to be slightly out of square or not symmetrical. The diagonals really pop out alignment problems.

John Pitkin
Greenville, TX

Lion8
09-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Thank you John for the quick reply. I will call John on Monday to check. I just want to verify that everything is correct as far as bold hole alignment goes before I start the fit up. -Tom (Lion8), South Jersey

Lion8
09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Thank you John. No Help from the people at Kitfox on the fuselage bolt pattern. Apparently they don't share this information. Policy thing.
My plan was to get this IV back in the air for a while then sell it to purchase a new kit from them. I may look in a different direction now. There are many good manufactures coming on line with some nice products. I just need to find the one who has good customer support.
Oh well, that's progress I guess. Thanks again. Tom, N.J.

Av8r3400
09-27-2010, 07:38 PM
I may look in a different direction now. There are many good manufactures coming on line with some nice products. I just need to find the one who has good customer support.

I just don't understand why people get crabby when manufacturers don't share their designs and/or intellectual property. Why would it be in their interest to share this information so you can try some prototype engine mount with who knows what kind of quality or results opening them to all kinds of liability?

If the McBeans don't offer a mount for that engine, doesn't Jabiru?

DesertFox4
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Lion8, are you telling us you contacted Kitfox Aircraft and was told you couldn't have this info. or are you upset because your question was not yet answered by someone from Kitfox Aircraft on this forum?

jtpitkin06
09-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I do not see this as a problem. You have the fuselage so simply measure the bolt hole spacing. You also can measure any down thrust angle on the firewall. Again, even if the factory gave you dimensions, they could be a bit off with manufacturing tolerances. So go with what you've got and you will be assured that things will fit.

I find John and Debra to be very helpful and they have terrific customer support. They have bent over backwards to help me on several issues. (I like the cookies and MM's in the boxes, too! Nice touch, Debra!)

JP

Lion8
09-28-2010, 07:37 AM
JP, Steve and everyone who read these posts. I'm very sorry to come off this way about the people at Kitfox. I was wrong. I really didn't mean to put a negative spin on this. I see that the McBeans do in fact provide a great deal of help to new and previous Kitfox owners.
I would respond exactly as Debra did on this request. John and Debra both seem to be upstanding, honest people, which is rare to find these days. I really like the Kitfox line and after my hasty comment to look at other products, I will continue to support and purchase from the Kitfox Line.
I still will hold to my original idea to bring this plane back to flying condition, sell it after a while and buy a New Kitfox to build. Please forgive my unjustified outburst. This is not me. Thank you all for your help.-Tom

Pilot4Life
09-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Tom,
I'm sure the case is..."No Harm, No Foul". I've done a similar thing in reply to someone's post and these folks are quick to forgive and forget. Good luck with the mount and completion. Looking forward to updates as the work comes along.