PDA

View Full Version : ROTAX installed weights

Kitfox 3
09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I know this has been brought up before but I have been trying to compare apples to apples on some of these alternative engines. I am looking at either the Valley Engineering VW redrive or the Great Plains. They claim to be at 180 to 185lbs with the drive. 450 lbs of thrust with an 84 inch prop. Allot more affordable than the Rotax 912. Thought maybe some of you might be interested in this chart. I took it off of the "fly geo yahoo group". http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FlyGeo_uncensored/files/Rotax%20912~914%20weights.jpg

HighWing
09-21-2010, 06:10 PM
As I scan the forum, I keep reading this post and wonder if you really meant to say 84" prop. From what I have been reading the Rotax is usually fitted with a prop somewhere between 68 and 72 inches. Will you have the training wheel up front to protect the prop?

Kitfox 3
09-21-2010, 08:09 PM
As I scan the forum, I keep reading this post and wonder if you really meant to say 84" prop. From what I have been reading the Rotax is usually fitted with a prop somewhere between 68 and 72 inches. Will you have the training wheel up front to protect the prop?
NOT for Rotax. 84 " for VW with reduction unit. Slightly higher thrust line.
Extended reinforced gear and fuselage.
25 inch tires .
This is all tenative and not"written in stone" .
We may not be able to use an 84" but defenatly an 80".

NO FRONT TRAINiNG WHEEL.

Check out Smith Valley Engineering and Culver Props. Lots info with a prop calculator.