PDA

View Full Version : intercom

HansLab
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
no doubt this is a stupid question, but:
can anyone explane why I should buy me an intercom for my KF IV?
Rado's do all the things you would like to - but still there are intercoms for sale for large amounts of money...
What do I miss?

I'm designing panel, so any reaction is welcome!

akflyer
09-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I had issues with the tower being able to hear me with the 582 screaming in the cockpit. I put in a high noise intercom and since have had no issues talking to other planes and the local towers.

Dave Holl
09-15-2010, 02:08 PM
You should be able to use the intercom built into the radio, but this would require more wiring and a Tx relay (normal/emerg sw) if you used this method you would need to ensure that your headsets are matched. I think the main reason for fitting a intercom is the reduced wiring and therefore reduced costs if you are paying someone to fit it! also most intercoms are voice activated so there is a reduction of noise in the headsets when no one is speaking. In my current aircraft I have used the radio intercom and it works very well but for my Kitfox I will be fitting a voice activated intercom.
Dave

Dorsal
09-15-2010, 03:47 PM
I use the intercom in my Garmin SL40, voice activated, separate levels for pilot and pax, works very well. I also believe the wiring is simpler than adding an additional intercom but that may be on a case by case basis.

Av8r3400
09-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I have an intercom as part of my Terra 760 comm radio and it's function is terrible. It will not work well unless there are two identical headsets and then it robs power from the already weak transmissions.

I have mounted and am currently wiring in a separate intercom for (hopefully) better function.

Dorsal
09-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Sounds like the statement "radio's do all the things you would like to" depends on which radio.

Dave Holl
09-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Dorsal
I agree
Like all things in life some are better than others and you get what you pay for!!!
dave

Mark
09-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Although many radios have an intercom function, any adjustment to volume, squelch, etc. , require digging through several menu buttons to get to the adjustment needed. An intercom makes it most convenient to make instant changes. It does involve a little more wiring and cost up front - which is done once and then it's done.

HansLab
09-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Mark, i had the opportunaty to obtain an occasion alphatec 903, but I thought it was only suitable for handhelds (used on trikes).
If I understand you correctly this would be a wise buy - even I do have to do some wiring to my MicroAir..?