PDA

View Full Version : Engine vibration/run on

catz631
08-22-2010, 07:47 AM
I have had,in the past, a continuing problem with my 912Ul engine running about 3 revolutions backwards at engine shutdown. This didn't happen every time but enough. I was tired of doing the "lifter check" each time to make sure I didn't have air in the lifters. I thought about installing velcro on my cowl vs dzus so I could get the cowl off easier !
Anyway, I removed my Warp drive, taper tip, nickle leading edge prop and installed a lighter Kiev.I liked the Kiev after seeing it on so many Highlanders. Itis a real beauty. The Kiev solved the problem. I have not had a "run on" since. and now have a VERY smooth,quiet propeller
In another case, it was a Paradise P-1 LSA (from Brazil) The engine was vibrating at 5000 + rpm during cruise (climb was OK) We checked for carb balance,sticking carb swivle nuts,cables ,etc and could find nothing.
The owner bought a Kiev prop as he had heard from other Paradise owners that it was much smoother,quieter and added more speed. We removed his taper tip Warp(no nickle on his) installed the Kiev and the vibration was gone !
I have yet to disassemble or balance the Warp to find out the problem.but will.
I am not bad mouthing the Warp as it is a fine prop and tough as nails ! but here are two cases where going to a lighter prop sure made a difference. I just wanted to pass this on in case you might have a similar problem sometime.
Dick

sdemeyer
08-22-2010, 08:56 AM
I think I am going to try an IVO IFA on my KF. I recently flew in a friends KV and it was noticeably smoother. He has the Warp with nickle edge and I have the Warp plain jane. I've been through every possible thing to solve the vibration problem except changing the prop. Though, I really like the looks of your Kiev :). Hmm, all these decisions I must make!!