PDA

View Full Version : aileron bell crank assembly bolt upside down???

hopeonwings
08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
in build manual for 2007 Super Sport the figure b-12 I think for the aileron bell crank assembly shows the bolt coming from bottom and nut on top. I am new to this kind of work and I was lead to believe that any bolt and especially one on something this critical should be installed from above so if the nut did happen to come loose it would not drop out of the hole and make the control of the aileron or whatever impossible.

What am I missing here? Is there some reason this bolt should be installed from bottom up?

Dorsal
08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
I think you will find on that particular bolt there is very limited clearance to the cross tube (nut would not clear the tube).

dholly
08-16-2010, 12:17 PM
I believe every one of my Avid, Avid+ and Kitfox III builder manuals said to place nuts up on all vertical bolts in the flight control assemblies for observation during pre-flight inspections.

DesertFox4
08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
on my model 4 if put in from the top the nut would hit the rear edge of the wooden flooring and not permit movement of the flapperons. May be a clearance issue on the 7's as well but not sure.