PDA

View Full Version : Solo to Alaska

parkerbhammond
08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I just completed a solo round trip from Denver to Alaska in the Kitfox. I posted a link on the Matronics list which leads to the trip log on my web site. For those who may want to visit, the link is:

http://www.itsys3.com/kitfox/alaska.shtml

Bill Hammond
Parker, CO
N913KF
Series 6, 912s

http://www.itsys3.com/kitfox/images/alaska/xKnikGlacier2a.jpg

DanB
08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Bill,
Thanks for sharing the wirte-up on your trip...very well done. It looked to be a great time.

DesertFox4
08-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Outstanding Bill. Enjoyed every word.

catz631
08-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Me too Bill ! It was a great read !
Dick Maddux
Milton,Fl

Dick B in KY
08-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Great travel log. Sounds like you have many memories to reflect upon in the coming years. Thanks for the opportunity to experience your trip.

Dick B

akarmy
08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
All I can say is WOW. What a great adventure you had. Nice write up too!

GWright6970
02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Very well done... builder's log also... thank you for sharing it!

Wheels
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
I read every word. I loved it. I just bought a model IV and will fly it solo for the first time this month. (God and my instructor willing) My instructor and good friend flew from Omaha to Deer Park Washington in it and I have never been happier.Thanks for sharing your story, I will look forward to writing one of my own someday.

kitfox5v
10-13-2012, 11:14 AM
:confused:Thanks so much for your hard work on this. I'm building a 5 and have been overwhelmed. I have new energy to start again from your thread. have tried to get local fox owners to give some time to me but most dont have time for poor pilots that can't afford a fast build. KEEP IN MIND; I WILL FINISH AND HELP ALL WHO ASK ME IN THE FUTURE:p

DanB
10-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Kitfox5,
How long have you been at it? I know exactly what you are saying about gathering new energy to start. I was at it for 6 years (on and off)...Like many things that are greatly rewarding, it's a mental game as much as a physical one. Hang in there and try to do a little each day...even if it is one thing. (Don't know how many times I got that pep talk). All I can say...IT IS WORTH IT!
I am 9 hours away from having my 40 flown off and went flying with a buddy this morning as a 2-ship flight for the first time. What an experience! Looking forward to leaving my FAA assigned "sand box".
I would encourage any builders within this brothers area to help out. You all know what I'm talking about if you have built your own plane...it sure helps to motivate. And if you are flying, I cant' tell you how much it helps to get a ride if even for just an hour on the weekend...Hey, I bet Kitfox5 would even pay for the liquid gold!

kitfox5v
10-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Dan, thanks for the come back. I put it on hold during a bad marrage and almost lost it to her. Bought kit new in 98. It has been in storage 18 miles away:( and you know the saying out of sight out of mind. moving it now to continue. I just can't understand why people near me don't follow up when I make trips to see one in progress and ask to come back when they do a certain part and don't get the call. this has happened several times and then I see it flying on here. I promise I will never do that to anyone no matter what. My love of flying go so deep I would never let anyone down like that. I never wear out my welcome so I can come back ,but people these day are so caught up in life they forget. Maybe someone will see this and try harder to be supporting. I know that is my pledge to all who ask me now and as long as I can push a throttle farward. Thanks again Dan Eddie McCutchen:)

rwaltman
10-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Congratulations!
[I'm trying to decide what I envy the most. The trip, having time for the trip, or that big CLEAN hangar in the starting page...]

Wheels
10-14-2012, 08:47 PM
I saw the reply, check the date to my original post. I have flown that plane more than 400 hours since I read the solo story. That in the past two years. Thanks to great people in the community and astonishing circumstances.
Wheels

Paul Z
01-22-2014, 05:32 PM
I wish I could do this adventure, but you can’t be a SLSA Pilot and fly to Alaska. You have to have a Class III medical.

t j
01-23-2014, 07:21 AM
I think the correct wording would be: you need to have a current medical to fly in Canada.

Av8r3400
01-23-2014, 07:51 AM
I was told to fly In Canada, a US certificated pilot needs a current Flight Medical and at least a Private Pilot certificate. I was also told that Canada does not recognize the Sport Pilot certificate.

If I am wrong on this please feel free to correct me, because I would like to know the facts as well.

Paul Z
01-23-2014, 09:33 AM
I called and talked to Canadian Officials you must have a current Medical to Fly in Canada. I have an E-Mail from them explaining all of the requirements. :mad: I have a Private Pilots License, but I have been flying on my Drivers License no Medical.

ackselle
01-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Here's a quote from the Canadian Owners and Pilots Organization's Guide to Cross Border Flight Operations:

Licences and Certificates
Licences that meet ICAO standards, including all Private Pilot, Commercial Pilot and Airline Transport Pilot Licences (Canada) and Certificates (US) are valid to fly your aircraft on either side of the border.
Other permits and licences are not necessarily valid on the other side of the border. For example the Canadian Pilot Permit – Recreational Aeroplanes is only valid when flying a Canadian ultralight in the US under the blanket authority document. The Pilot Permit – Ultra-light Aeroplanes is not valid for flying in the US, unless you are flying a Canadian Ultralight and have an instructor rating and two hours of cross country time, as required in the blanket authority. Likewise US Recreational Pilot Certificates and Sport Pilot Certificates are not valid in Canada. Student Pilot Permits are not valid outside the issuing country.

Av8r3400
01-25-2014, 09:19 PM
:mad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMcdYPFhIZk

Esser
01-28-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure if the SLSA's are allowed to fly in Canada but if they can, why don't you get a buddy with a private pilot license to ferry you through BC to Alaska?

jiott
01-28-2014, 10:01 AM
I wonder if I got a 3rd class medical I could fly Canada with my Sport Pilot license?

Av8r3400
01-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately, no. Canada does not recognize the Sport Pilot certificate.

Paul Z
09-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Bill H

I was rereading your post on your trip to Alaska. I was checking out your pictures and noticed your fine baseball cap "Raytheon". It was a good Company for me having retired 2.5 years ago.

I really would like to make the trip, I need to go talk to my FAA Medical Examiner, now that I have a clean bill of Heath from my Urologist.