PDA

View Full Version : rudder cable guide question

kmul
10-07-2008, 02:21 PM
having little success putting the 5/16 nylaflow tubing thru the 1/4 id tubing. have tried to soften it in boiling water with very limited success. what has anyone else done. i am wondering if i should just get some 1/4 in nylaflow and use silicone gasket material to glue it in place. is the hard nylon tubing at the hardware stores the same stuff. keith

DanB
10-07-2008, 02:36 PM
having little success putting the 5/16 nylaflow tubing thru the 1/4 id tubing. have tried to soften it in boiling water with very limited success. what has anyone else done. i am wondering if i should just get some 1/4 in nylaflow and use silicone gasket material to glue it in place. is the hard nylon tubing at the hardware stores the same stuff. keith

Have you tried reaming out the 1/4" tubing? Paint may be taking up the space you need.

Danny
10-07-2008, 03:05 PM

Reaming the tubes will do the trick...just don't overdo it. You will need to put some adhesive on the nylon tubing after you get it in to make sure it doesn't come out.
Danny Powell
Super Sport

kmul
10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
ok i reamed it to 5/16-.001. i had thought of reaming it out but was reluctant to as it is probably .035 tubing and didnt want it too thin. but since you guys are doing it i will too. it takes a fair amount of metal out and not just the paint. thanks keith

Jorge&Cindy
11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
So far I've only done the short pieces. I filed out the powdercoat and used a woodworking clamp to push the pieces through. The tubes went in real tight. The book says nothing, that I saw, about adhesive. Is it necessary? And what do you use, I didn't think Hysol would bond plastic? I tried pushing the tube with my hand and it would not move.

mcguif0a
11-25-2008, 12:14 PM
To get my tubing in there I used a power drill at low speed an spun them into place. Just make sure to not clamp down on the tubing in the drill chuck too hard. No adhesive was needed after that, they are very tight in there. Just something to try if you want.

Jorge&Cindy
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
I managed to get the short one's in using a c-clamp and some heat. Your drill method, did that work with the long ones?

mcguif0a
11-25-2008, 03:21 PM
The longer ones at the end were harder but it still worked. Had to guide it alot with my hand.
As I recall I did destroy one or two pieces of tubing in this fashion by spinning a little to fast and forceing the tubing to collapes on itself but there was enough of extra tubing to cover this mistake.

Reaming Note: The way I ream alot of things is by feel. I rap 220 grit sand paper around a small drill bit on a power drill an power sand the powder coat out. I do a little bit at a time until I get the bolt to fit the hole in a way I like. It destroys the sand paper but work well. Just something you could try instead of buying all these different ream sizes.

Jorge&Cindy
11-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey Tyler, used your advice, and went great. Only thing I did different is I inserted and 12", #30 drill bit into the nylon tube to keep it straight and a little heat from my heat gun, and they went right in. I added a little Hysol to the tubes after they were set just for insurance. Soon I'll be hitting you up for some photos and advice on how to set my wings.;)

bbryan
12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I did my nylaflow tubes a little different, First I used a wire brush barrel cleaner from a gun kit (.410 i think) in a power drill and cleaned out the frame tube, about 30 seconds from each direction, then I put the nylaflow tubing in the freezer to make it stiff so it wouldn't buckle, then tapped in with a small hammer sliding on the frame as a hammer guide. Make sure to use a little tape on the frame so you wont get scratches.