PDA

View Full Version : Icom A6 - Anyway to keep antenna from vibrating loose

montana_jim
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
I have an Icom A6 hand held radio. The antenna periodically vibrates loose and then it falls off. Their are no thread in the antenna - just an slot and groove fitting. Has anyone else had this problem? Are other hand held radios like Vertex the same way? Are there any third party antennas that work better? Any input appreciated. Thanks!!

rwaltman
07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Jim,

The end of the groove should have a "step" to lock the connector.
Click on the connector picture on this page for one example:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=ACX1019-ND
Do you feel the antenna "clicking" at the end when you install it?
Sometimes the rubber wrapping around the antennas make it difficult to rotate the last few degrees into that step.

If yours is worn out, maybe a little teflon tape will help. (As long as there is still some metal to metal contact.)

Roberto Waltman.

Lion8
07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Jim
You might want to try a small rubber O-ring inside the female side. Be sure to NOT block the connection in any way. Try it then test out on the ground.
Also, as Roberto said, make sure the twist lock is in fact turned all teh way to the step-lock. -Tom

montana_jim
07-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Hey thanks! I didn't know about the step lock. It is not mentioned in the owners manual. The A6 has a rubber o-ring around the bottom of the antenna that hold the rubber seals for the head phones. This kept the antenna from seating. With a little pressure I was able to hear the click and it stays put. Your advice was right on!!!

BIG THANKS!