PDA

View Full Version : Landing: Promontory Point, UT

SkySteve
07-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Being a low time pilot, I will confess that I have never landed on anything softer than asphalt. That is, untill yesterday.

I have been flying over a dirt strip for over a year now and each time I give it the ol' "Am I good enough to land there?" eyeball. I have done several low passes (5 to 10 ft) but never actually had the guts to just go ahead and set her down. Yesterday I was out flying and again found myself looking at this airstrip, again deciding to do a low fly over. As I made my final approach with my eye on "my spot", all felt good. Deciding to set the mains on the ground I slowed and set up for my quazi landing. When the mains touched ever so softly I decided to let my plane settle. Nose up (yes, I'm one of "those" guys), full flap, hold it ... hold it ... hold it, set the nose down softly, and WOW, I'm on the ground and stopped. Taxied back like I was a "big dog" (just in case someone was watching from the over head passenger jet at 35,000 feet). :D

Took the proof photo just as soon as my hands stopped shaking, and readied for the take off. Let's see, full flaps, power up evenly, nose up, hold it... hold it... speed is now 35 mph, then 36 and I'm in the air!! Nose down, now hold it... hold it... speed is now 40 and I'm climbing out. What a great feeling. My first dirt strip!! It wasn't all that hard! Loved it!

OK, OK, now I'm wanting more. Look out you Alaskian Bush Pilots, I'm coming for you!!:cool:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff12/KitfoxSteve/b289fb90.jpg

DesertFox4
07-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Great post. I knew you could do it Steve.:)
Brings back memories for sure. I had the same reaction first time I set the J-3 Cub down on a narrow gravel road back as a student pilot. Must be a universal reaction to pushing ourselves to our limits the first time. The shaky hands do diminish quickly, darn it. ;)
Nice job by the way preserving that nose gear.

DanB
07-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Awesome Steve, Your hands must not have been shaking that bad...you took a great picture!

hansedj
08-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Pictures of Mcbeans plane and others with funny third wheel in the idaho back country.

cap01
08-03-2010, 09:05 AM
theres some trick here , they must have brought those airplanes in by trailer