PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot on the Brakes

carlisle
07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Ever since I saw a friend's picture of him flying a Bell 47 helicopter, shot up through the glass bubble, with his bare toes wrapped around the anti-torque pedals, I've wanted to fly my Kitfox that way.

Well, I did it today and learned a lesson. No matter how conscious you think you are of keeping your toes off the brakes during landing, they're not. So all that weaving around that I do, especially when landing on pavement (and a couple of ground loops) now makes more sense to me. I think I should adjust the brake pedals (standard Matco on my Model II) so that they are well clear of my toes unless I make a concerted effort 'enpointe' to actuate them.

Anyone have any magic tricks?

Chris
Model II, 582
Sioux Falls, SD

cap01
07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
a long time ago while i was going to school i worked for an fbo that rented 172s and 150s . it was a common occurrence to have to replace a perfectly good tire because of a flat spot because someone landed with a brake on . i hadnt been flying too long back then so that really made an impression on me , besides if i landed with a brake on with my airplane , i would have to pay for the tire . i cant remember if it was an instructor or i came up with it on my own but i land with heals on the floor and just toes on the rudder peddles . after i get on the ground , i slide my feet up to where i can get toes on the brakes . nothing magic , just stay off the brakes untill you need them

carlisle
07-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Ended up just taking the plunger rods out of the Matco cylinders on each pedal and cutting them off about an inch at the top, then re-threading them so that the fitting that bolts onto the pedal is quite a bit lower now. That way the pedal sits forward of my toes so that I have to make a conscious effort to extend my ankles enough to reach them. Probably won't be making any of those lovely pirouetting turns onto the apron in front of my hanger after a flight but also won't feel like I'm pirouetting all over the runway on landing either.

Chris

cap01
07-20-2010, 09:45 AM
a little different take on custom peddles , the jurys still out on the non skid . doesnt make for a smooth slide up to get to the brakes . sometime i get a little tail wag during roll out when i move up to the brakes

cap01
07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
i find the peddles a little close together . my left foot / toes up against the cable fitting and the right foot / toes using half of the right peddle . i dont have large feet either , 81/2 - 9 . hasnt been a problem and dont pay attention to it .