PDA

View Full Version : New to Flying

Brian
07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I mean really new. I'm in the process of doing my research into different aircraft. I really love love love the looks and idea behind the kitfox.

I'm 40 years old and wondering if my age will present a problem in learning to fly. I guess I have a lot of apprehensive feelings about it as I've only been up a few times in my early years, but I guess for someone really wanting to learn it's never to late. I guess I was wondering if there are any of you who learned to fly later in life than even me infact.

Look forward to learning more about the kitfox, and does anyone in the carolina's currently fly this airplane? Would love to meet someone local who is currently flying this plane.

Agfoxflyer
07-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Brian, I started flying lessons when I was 50. Had wanted to do it since I was about 16. Been flying now 11 years and enjoyed evry minute. Go for it.

Brian
07-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Thats great to know it's never to late. Look forward to starting. I'll be scedualing my "Discover Flying" session soon, and look forward to it.

jtpitkin06
07-11-2010, 10:59 PM
At 40, You're not even close to old age and learning to fly. I've taught several new pilots to fly in their 60's and 70's. One of my students got his private pilot license on his 75th birthday and I know there are pilots that got their license over 80.

If you're apprehensive... chew on an antacid. [I'm serious. Puking on your first flight is bad form. I always offer Rolaids to people on intro flights.]

John Pitkin
Greenville, Tx

montana_jim
07-12-2010, 01:18 AM
You'll do fine. If you can fly twice a week, you'll save time and money in the long run. Good luck and enjoy the experience!

One more thing - The people on this board are very nice! If you want to get some time in a kitfox, check out Stick & Rudder in Boise, ID.

jrthomas
07-12-2010, 04:44 AM
hey Brian, a lot of us learned to fly later in life after raising our familys. I recieved a call the other day from a man who recently retired and had just got his last daughter married off. Now he's ready to live out a long term dream of flying. I was in my early 40's when I started flying and one of my best friends soloed on his 70th birthday. Where's Dobson, NC. I'm in central NC. James Thomas

SkySteve
07-12-2010, 05:20 AM
Started at age 55. I was flying last evening with my 87 year old mother. Go for it!!!

catz631
07-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Bryan,
Your just a kid !!! Get with it !
Dick

Slyfox
07-12-2010, 07:03 AM
I started flying 6 years ago. I was 46. I also bought my Kitfox during flight training. 6 years later and I now have two airplanes the kitfox and an RV7, I finished the building on the RV last year in may. I now have 330hrs on the RV and over 1500hrs to date on the kitfox from when I got it. I'm a flying fool. I fly an average of 1 hr a day most the time more than that. I'm hitting around 400hrs a year between the two aircraft. My hrs are around 1800. I've always wanted to fly since I was a little one as well, I just didn't have the money, now I do and that's all I want to do. The kitfox is great and I have no regrets on having one. Just do it.

Andrew G
07-12-2010, 07:23 AM
I just got back into it after a 28 year absence... started lessons recently and I'm smiling the whole time... my instructor is 22, I'm turning 50... the instructor has incredible patience and he is allowing me to re-learn at my own pace... I ask tons of questions...

First time out during the runup, I turned off the master switch... the good news is that it worked ; )... I felt like an idiot... proves the point that I have a lot to learn, but thus far, the journey is a blast and rewarding.

My instructor is fairly brave as he hasn't touched the controls in over 3 hours and a dozen Takeoffs and Landings... he killed the throttle over the pattern the other day and I instinctively trimmed the 152 up and headed for the runway...

Halfway through final he asked me if i thought I could make it and I said that yes I think we can... and I landed engine-out... it felt like making a hole in one... extremely personally satisfying.

My strong suggestion is to see it through to solo... the cost and work involved is tough, but anything worth doing -- is.

Above all, have fun and be safe.

PS: you won't find a nicer group of people than folks involved in General Aviation... I was visiting a friend's restored Cessna 195 last Friday and his buddy stopped by and asked if I wanted a ride in his Cirrus -- all because I was a "pilot" and had an interest... we went around the Lebanon, NH aerodrome and saw magnificent NH scenery and learned a lot within the tower controlled airspace... what a treat... I'll never forget it and I hope that I too have a plane one day and can take someone up out of the blue..

Ehfox
07-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Had my ultralight license in the mid 1980's(was taken from me for medical reasons in 1991...migraines...when I applied for my license in the 80's,the aviation dr. told me not to fly if I was having an attack..made sense to me and he gave me his OK. When renewal time comes,a different aviation dr. wants more info from my family dr., ok...nothing had changed in intensity or frequency of the migraines...and the aviation dr. rejects my medical!..go figure!)
Anyway,rant over, I don't get migraines anymore(there are benefits to getting older)and am getting my licence reinstated...I am 53 yrs.old. My wife who is also 53 is going for her licence also. She went up for a "discovery flight" and loved flying the plane(they gave her a decent amount of hands-on time in a 170). In Canada, you can't carry a passenger in an ultralight unless the other person is an ultra light pilot,so this way we can fly together.(In Canada, a basic ultralight is no more than 1200 lbs.gross and no more than 45 mph. stall). We bought an enclosed trailer and are looking for a Kitfox 4. We plan on travelling to different areas of the country and flying from the remote airfields. I think/hope we can fly in the USA. Dan PS. Hope to meet some of you folks @ Oshkosh.

Brian
07-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey JrThomas. Your explanation of when people get started flying sounds alot like me. Kids are still relatively young, (daughter 16, son 14) Lately I've really been getting the bug to learn. An engineer at work has had his pilot license sinse the Viatnam war. He flew Heli's. He recently purchased his son an airplane. Talking to him about it has really rekindled a flame I've been keeping partially lit for 20 years. Im not so sure about a majore airplance purchase as I dont think I could afford the maintenance cost, but the kitfox sounds like it's doable.

Dobson is in Surry county it borders the Va state line. I guess the nearest city would be Winston Salem.

Pilot4Life
07-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Talk about learning to fly when you're old...I'm turning 32 this winter. HAHA! Just kidding fellas. I love to hear that even those who are "old" physically are still young at heart. I have been in helicopters for a number of years and am now learning to fly airplanes. In a couple of months I'll have completed my Multi-Land, High Performance, and Type Rating in a B300. Loving every minute of it. It's too bad that, for now, the days of "slow and low" are a distant memory. Soon, like many of you, I hope to be talking to John and Deb about my SS! Happy Landings!