PDA

View Full Version : Best glue for rubber to AL

Dorsal
06-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Details Details, down to putting the rubber stripping on the wing cuffs, recommendations for glue?

Dave S
06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi Dorsal,

There are probably several adhesives a person could use. I used your basic "gorilla snot" i.e. contact cement - not the water based stuff - the real stuff that stinks till it dries.

Another idea - and this may be better - is the door seal cement used for automotive purposes - this stuff glues rubber to steel and painted steel and it probably is designed to live with pretty hostile environments brought on by exposure to the weather. 3-M makes this stuff and there may be other manufacturers - a person can get it a an auto body paint shop.

A person would think that rubber cement would be good - but it peels off the aluminum too easy.

Sincerely,

Dave S

napierm
06-30-2010, 04:04 PM
There is an adhesive make by Locktite called Black Max 380. It is specifically designed for rubber to metal. I used it when I rebuild my older Matco master cylinders to glue in the small rubber plug in the bottom (that design isn't used now). I also glued in the rubber fitting and aluminum adapter for the right angle valve stems (Yamaha motorcycle part) on the 8" wheels. Works great.

jtpitkin06
06-30-2010, 06:21 PM
3M Super Black Weatherstrip Adhesive

About $4 at most auto parts, Kmart and Wally world.

JP